Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to get a new exhaust system and i was thinking about getting super trapps, what do you guys think of them, what would you suggest

Brad

------------------
http://69chevl.homestead.com/brad.html

·
Registered
982 Posts
YUCK!

Supertrapps have a distinctive sound to them, becuase of the baffling, and I personally dont like it, and I think they look extra cheezy.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
And if anyone knows cheezy, it's Dave

Seriously, I love the look of traps, but only if done correctly.

The only way I think they look good is if you exit the pipes, at an angle, before the rear wheels. It's also important that you use the anodized Traps. Stainless looks cheap, but the black gives it sort of a 'rough' look.

SOmeone just posted shotsof their car with new exhaust &stance. I belive it was AdamLyn (green car?) The exhaust is exactly they way I envision it coming out, but with black Traps.

As for sound, find a local SCCA event where they have vintage V8 cars running (idealy Vettes). A built 350 with traps sounds like nothing you've ever heard.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
28,758 Posts
Brad,not to sound like a jerk,buy why? I heard a set once on a Grand National that ran low 11's,and they sounded pretty "silly"..reminded me of a motorcycle muffler.Ahhh..Supertraps and Predator carbs

All joking aside,there's plenty of great sounding mufflers out there..my personal favs are the 3 chamber Flowmasters and the Dynomax Super Turbos.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
82 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr 4 speed:
I heard a set once on a Grand National that ran low 11's,and they sounded pretty "silly"..reminded me of a motorcycle muffler.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But a Grand National is a 6 cylinder...any kind of muffler would have sounded silly.

------------------
Justin Earnhart
TC member #657
502 4-speed 67 SS
97 318 Dakota lowered on 17's

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
We used them on the circle track cars a few year back. Thats the kind of racing you do when you get smart enough to turn left!!
. They are Okay , but I would not use them on a street car. You can change the tone of the exhaust by adding or subtracting the plates but they always seem to rattle at an idle.We have not used them for a few years but if I remember correctly, they get louder the more plates you put in, as there is more holes for the exhaust to escape from.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BB_Mike:
-Nasty-

Pass on 'em

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, we're talking about mufflers, not your girlfriends!

------------------
Justin Earnhart
TC member #657
502 4-speed 67 SS
97 318 Dakota lowered on 17's

[This message has been edited by street_racer_502 (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
28,758 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by street_racer_502:
But a Grand National is a 6 cylinder...any kind of muffler would have sounded silly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(in my best Italian accent voice) "whadda you,a wise guy or somethin?

A friend of mine has a turbo T-Type with Flowmasters,and for a 6 cylider,it sounded OK.
But the GN with the Supertrapps,now that sounded like crap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.