Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the parts store this morning and we got talking about paint strippers and hogging down the car with 36 grit paper. I''ve never believed in stipping a car down to bare metal with anything courser then 80 grit. The guy at the auto parts store says 36 grit is fine and faster, faster yes but when I paint a car I dont want to see scratches in the finish even if you use 2k primer the primer could shrink. What your opinion? I know times have changed and you can get away with more then you could with lacuars

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
A piece of 180 on a Ingersoll rand 9in high speed sander will strip a fender in about a few minutes.
I would not strip with 36 grit

·
Registered
261 Posts
If your primer shrinks, you did something wrong so it shouldn't matter anyway. On top of that, if your primer shrinks, you will probably see 220 sand scratches in your primer too, and your filler, and anything else that was scuffed with anything more than a scotch brite pad. On that note, I have used 36 on a mud hog to strip the majority of the paint off of a few cars, but usually only when its thick. The thing about 36 is that while it cuts very fast, it is a pretty random cut since the grain of the paper has alot of spaces between them. This is why I use it to knock the bulk of alot of paint off of it, then go back over it with 80. The 36 does a nice job for removing alot of material fast, the 80 does a nice job in getting the rest that the 36 left in a pretty timely manner. A DA sander with the lock out and 80 grit sandpaper will strip things fast, just don't get into the metal too much and have plenty of sandpaper. Another thing you might try - clean and strip wheels. Don't remove solid metal, strips rust, paint, filler... basically anything but solid metal is toast. I use them CONSTANTLY at work and on my own car. I always have one chucked up in my die grinder, and for big jobs they have some that are made to be used on a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

Heres what I have in my die grinder, BTW these Norton ones last 10x longer than the crappy ones 3M makes - http://www.aaabrasives.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=177&id=3040&pRange=0&iCurrentPage=1

And for the grinder - http://www.aaabrasives.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=176&id=3036&pRange=0&iCurrentPage=1

Don't know if you can find them somewhere else by the single. On the manufacturer website they call them "Lava wheels". Anyway these things rock, I can't imagine doing this stuff without em, invaluable!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts