Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.vararam.com/streetram.html

I was considering ways of getting colder air to the motor (don't like hood scoops) and found this. Their claims are pretty lofty and wanted to see if anyone runs one or had any thoughts on viability.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
many guys with consistant performing drag cars have tried those or similar ones, none have posted any improvement worth mentioning. Sounds like a good idea though.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
youre not gonna see 3 thenths and 3mph,
(unless you run a tiny 1" airfilter thats chokin your engine)
but you could see around 1 tenth and 1mph which is the norm
for a cold- air / ram-air set up. (around 10hp)

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
the ramairbox stuff won't help either. there's no real difference between them, although I expect the respective vendors would insist there is......

·
Registered
250 Posts
On my monte I have tested a similiar set-up at the track, I would have never thought my car would actually go one tenth slower but it did.

I tried with and without the filter in my enclosure and netted no difference, finally I removed the enclosure and reinstalled my 14" open element filter and my times returned to normal (one tenth faster like they used to be). This was all in the same day at the track.

Your car may respond differently.

I have 4" x 11" snorkels below the bumper and 4" tubing going up to the carb...I still have them on the car but now they just blow air to the filter.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I really like the idea behind the Vararam and Ramairbox and here is my take on when they work and when they don't work:

1) Their product that use molded pieces all the way to the opening work.
2) Their product that use convoluted tubing between the scoop(s) and the engine do not work.

The convoluted tubing is a problem for clean airflow. If I had to choose I would use Grumpyvette's tubing over 502ci's tubing.

Breathing through a straw is fine on a small engine, bad on 500 cubes - even 2 5" straws is not sufficient. If you go back in time to the Smokey Yunick NASCAR cowl air cleaners you will have to admit that Smokey's cowl air cleaners had a mondo snorkel that easily had four times the cross sectional area vs the twin snorkels of the ramairbox - maybe Smokey knew something.

The one custom made ram air system that I have seen really work was on a '96 Impala SS. It had about a 40" wide mouth which fed into a huge airbox surrounding an oversize air cleaner. At 100 mph it showed ~ 1 psi of boost. That was on a 350, I'm not convinced that any boost would have been shown on a 502.

Thomas

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I got the response I expected. I sort of figured if they were all they were cracked up to be I would have seen at least one car at my track using them ;) But it never hurts to ask. I guess I'm vain enough to not want to cover up the engine I'm building for a few potential hp or a few hundredths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts