Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to write my reseach paper for english on smog tests for 66-72. I heard that it is a possibility that we may have to start smogging our cars again. I don't want to, of course. but why were we exempted in the first place?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Burt66;

The "exemption" was only from having to have a smog check every 2 years. It NEVER said that you could remove the required smog equipment!

If you like conspiracy theories here is one to think about; (just for fun)

Let people with late 60's and early 70's vintage cars think that they will never have to have a smog check.

Wait a couple years (5'ish) so that people pull off, and throw away, the smog stuff that they think they don't need.

Then reinstate the smog check program (you can say that the federal government forced you to do it). At that point, it wouldn't be cost effective to owners of the cars to re-purchase the equipment required to pass and they would junk the cars.

That gets those icky old cars off the road and makes more room for SUV's.

(I don't mind the black helicopters always flying over my house due to the fact that they are always in "whisper-mode)

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wes...very "in the year 2525" of you

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
When the inspections are started again, not if but when, the laws will be tougher. This will be another effort to remove those old trashy junk cars off the road.
They almost slipped it through before last year and will find another to get it passed.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Boy, don't get me started...

I have had a really bad time dealing with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) that is incharge of implementing the smog laws in California.
I actually have an older book, a BAR publication, indicating, among other things, the 1966 vehicles that were sold in California with no smog equipment. These included the L78 Chevelle, L72 Impala/Biscayne/etc and the Shelby 427 Cobra.

I also had data from Holley and Chevrolet, indicating non-smog California versions for 1966. The folks at their head office still refuted me, even though there old book showed that I was correct. There newer books didn't show the exclusion, and therefore,"all California vehicles sold since 1966 require smog equipment." I was told I would never be able to register my car until I installed the equipment...

I even found discrepancies in their new books, but the new publisher (Motors manuals?) couldn't even suggest the change, the BAR had to ask them to review it...which they refused.

These people do not care about being correct with their evaluations, as long as they can get the older cars off the road...

In the end, a local BAR representative agreed with me, and I got my car smogged. Unfortunately, he has since retired...

·
Registered
165 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1966_L78:
Boy, don't get me started...

I have had a really bad time dealing with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) that is incharge of implementing the smog laws in California.
I actually have an older book, a BAR publication, indicating, among other things, the 1966 vehicles that were sold in California with no smog equipment. These included the L78 Chevelle, L72 Impala/Biscayne/etc and the Shelby 427 Cobra.

I also had data from Holley and Chevrolet, indicating non-smog California versions for 1966. The folks at their head office still refuted me, even though there old book showed that I was correct. There newer books didn't show the exclusion, and therefore,"all California vehicles sold since 1966 require smog equipment." I was told I would never be able to register my car until I installed the equipment...

I even found discrepancies in their new books, but the new publisher (Motors manuals?) couldn't even suggest the change, the BAR had to ask them to review it...which they refused.

These people do not care about being correct with their evaluations, as long as they can get the older cars off the road...

In the end, a local BAR representative agreed with me, and I got my car smogged. Unfortunately, he has since retired...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What caused the problem to begin with? How did the BAR get involved? I bought my '69 Camaro in "nonop" status. Took the paperwork to the DMV and transfered the pink and reg into my name kept it in nonop for a while then went back and registered it and it's been current ever since with no mention of smog. After hearing your plite I feel lucky but always felt my experence was the norm not the exception...

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Back in 1994 (?) I had to register the car and at that time they had the biennial inspection. No smog pump so the regular shop would do it, so I had to go to the "referee" which essentially works for the state. His books showed two different holley carbs for the L78 motor, one smog (which he determined was "California") and one for all smog-exempt applications(49-states-all the rest). Of course, my carb was for the non-smog so he said it was illegal. I produced the latest Holley catalog and a letter from Holley stating that this carb was the only one for the L78, (only one model available), was only for the L78, and was listed in the newer catalogs as a smog legal "California" carburetor for the L78 only. I also had a parts book from Chevrolet, showing that while there were different engine codes for all engine combos (including smog and non-smog equipped), the L78 was only listed as EG, with no smog version available.
I called the main office in Sacramento, and got major run around, but basically, my car would not be smogged until I put the "required" equipment on it. I even sent them about 30 pages of documents showing that the 1966 Chevelle with the L78 option never had the smog equipment, even in California.

Once I thought I had pleaded my case and that they couldn't dispute the facts, they told me that I still didn't prove that my car originally came with that engine (even though they were never present at the referee appointment).

Finally, I went to the local BAR office, and this older guy pulled out this book from 1979 (there own publication, by the way), showed me where my car was exempt, told me I could put "6 carburetors on it if I wanted because it was exempt" and proceeded to photocopy the pages for me. He told me to go to any local smog shop and have them directly call him if there were any questions.

So I finally got it smogged, and a buddy gave me a complete copy of the book.

I actually got a hold of Motor's Manuals (?) who published the referee's book, and they said there are many errors, but they are not allowed to fix them without the BAR authorizing them to research and update. The BAR told me that even in my case, there were far to few of these exeptions to make it worth the effort to change.

The saddest part is that it truly is polotics. My buddy has a 66 mustang with a B&M blower and a 302, majorly illegal, but ti still passes the tailpipe test easily. The smog guy "doesn't see " the modifications...
And I probably put 3500 miles on the car in the last 7 years... I'm a gross polluter...

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Fine69,
You'll see how it is if they change the laws again.

Excuse me, WHEN they change the laws again!!!

You will probably have to get your car smogged every two years.

And there is talk of making the test much harder. The current test (IM240? not in all areas yet) utilizes a chassis dyno setup where they actually "drive" the car under load conditions. It is harder to tune a car to pass this test than when under a no-load situation as was the old test. Also as far as I know, the test parameters are not based on real results, because back in 1966, etc, these cars were never tested with this method.

In theory, you could bring a brand new, 100% original 60's car and it likely would not pass because there acceptable levels are determined by some idiot in an office, and not based on how the cars "polluted" when they were new. How is that fair? It isn't!!!

Sorry to write so much, but this really ticks me off...

I definitely suggest everyone check the SEMA website for an update & write your local representative...
www.sema.org/consumer/fedleg

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Some areas are still not running dynos?? Thought they were all over. All I got down in my neighborhood.
Love the random selection where 15% of the vehicles need to go to the "test only" places at twice the price for the test. What a scam these guys run. Had to test 3 cars last year and 2 headed for the stupid test only places. Talk about random selection.
Got all the smog stuff on my cars because it belongs on there. Any of you guys that trashed the stuff best find it in a boneyard. The repro places will jump in if there's a market, but they are going to command the price.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can bet it's better than Cook County!!
I fully expect it to get tougher in the future. If it comes down to it I'll put Nevada plates on the '69 as I have an address I can use.. I best start looking into NV smog laws!! I suspect like most things we fret over it won't be as bad as the doom sayer predict but something more like 1966 has refered to... I think we may all hear more tales of woe because the officials don't have their act together...

The SEMA site is a good place to start if you want to learn and get involved...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless '69

·
Registered
24 Posts
What about a car built for 49 state but moved and retitled in California. My all original 70SS396 is a 49 state down to the correct 49 state carb. Will they actually make me change the carb to the cali model.

I've went through the ref thing before with my 71 elky. Put all the smog stuff back on..finally after 3 trips to the ref he passed it. Of course the it passed the tailpipe test everytime wit flying colors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've about had it with this emissions thing. I figured when they made '73 and older smog inspection exempt, they had a shaft-job hiding in the background. What irritates me is that the state still has the pollution credits, so the big $$$ industrial polluters can spit their garbage in the air. Of course I understand why, I don't contribute to politicians campaigns and big business does. Well, I personally can't afford to jump thru the emissions hoop - bought the car used 3 years ago with cam, headers, Competition Series AFB, and 4 spd Muncie which requires a smog pump (which was long gone before I got the car), not to mention that the motor is gettin' a little worn. I'm thinking real serious of selling my Elky now before the stuff hits the fan. Guess I'll just get a '80's pickup and build me a pre-runner for the desert. Sorry how a bunch of bureaucrats can ruin a hobby for so many people.

·
Registered
17 Posts

So what exactly is the smog equipment, if I went looking for it?

------------------
Jason
North Hollywood, CA
My '70 Malibu.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jason
First thing that usually goes off the car is the air or smog pump with its pulleys and belts. Right now, nobody it buying these things because they are not "needed". Next thing that goes of the car are the exhaust manifolds with the AIR tubes and valves. Seen some nice ones, cheap at pick-a-part. Nobody is taking them. Next thing getting dumped is the TCS system.
I'm not suggesting anyone tear into their car tomorrow and install everything. Just suggesting that it would be smart to look for this stuff now while it's cheap and put in a box in the garage.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Jason, aka driverfromtaft, the smog equipment varies from year to year, even with various transmissions and engines. Your car would have different smog equipment if it were a big block 4 speed versus a small block automatic.

As for what is going to happen in the future. The smog laws will eventually change, for the worse. The representitives WE elect are out of touch with real life. If someone says a 30+ yar old muscle car creates more pollution than a new car they figure it must be bad. They do not care that the muscle car is most likely not driven very often, let alone every day. All they want to do is be able to stand up in front of a TV camera and be able to announce to the huddled masses that they have done something "important" to save the poor stupid citizens of the state.

Steve R.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.