Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New combo going in, I'am 1/8th mile bracket racer with a 1979 malibu, New 90/10 3 way ajustable front shock, new rear air lift bags, complete moser 9" ford rearend with 35 spline axeles, full spool and 4.86 gears, southside machine bars, rear tires are 28x9x15 micky thompson slicks, car is 3300 pounds.
New glide with 1.76 and brake, new coan converter built for this combo, 4800-5400 stall
New 388 ci sbc with eagle crank, 5.7 eagle rods, 12-6-1 speed pro hypertictic 200 dome pistons, Dart pro1 aluminum heads with 215 runners, 64cc chamber, 205/160 valves, victor jr intake, Comp Cam 290B-6 Mech flat tappet cam @50 255/266, lift 536/540. set in @ 102 intake center line.
Ruppert 750 alcohol carb, hooker super comp headers.
No bottle/all throttle.

I would like to hear from all of you gear heads on this combo, what will it make, power/torc? @ what RPM,what do you think it should run in the 1/8th.

This car will be going out in two weeks, so please reply to this thread before it go's out, let's see who can come the closest & who really know's the game of engine/racing.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Welcome to TC Good luck. Everything looks so good why the hypers it ought to haul the mail. I don't have experience with 1/8 times.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am not a gear head but isn't the lift kind of low for the rest of the combo? Looks like an awesome set up but seems the cam and lift is pretty low for the rest of the set up. But I like to guess.... 6.98

·
Registered
721 Posts
Again, I am not being humble...I am really new to this. Most my knowledge is from reading many of these posts so listen to some of these other guys who will chime in. I assume with a 9" then you are capable of handling a ton of power, then you have the huge slicks to grab and a high convertor. Just from reading many other posts it seems you need a ton of power to run a powerglide so I would think you need a much bigger cam with more lift for all the other stuff to work to its potential. I know the rockers would help with lift but it may be better to just get the right cam.

I'm sure Chris Straub or Mike Lewis will chime in and give some real advice.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I don't even want to reply.
What is an 1/8 mile?:D
Looks like an easy on the valve train E85 daily driver..Should be able to run 10.80's easy and 7800rpm shift 1/4 mile..
I never responded to one of these guess things. We will see how bad i am at it...

I think it depends a lot on the tune ,and if you can drive.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Speaking of driving, I had some friends back in the early 70s. One had a 455 Judge. He spent about $2K at a speed shop and could only get low 14's with it. He weighed about 140 and his buddy was around 400. The big guy got in (having never made a pass on on drag strip) and his 1st pass was 13.1 and change. Talk about not knowing how to drive. He sold the Judge shortly after.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
New combo going in, I'am 1/8th mile bracket racer with a 1979 malibu, New 90/10 3 way ajustable front shock, new rear air lift bags, complete moser 9" ford rearend with 35 spline axeles, full spool and 4.86 gears, southside machine bars, rear tires are 28x9x15 micky thompson slicks, car is 3300 pounds.
New glide with 1.76 and brake, new coan converter built for this combo, 4800-5400 stall
New 388 ci sbc with eagle crank, 5.7 eagle rods, 12-6-1 speed pro hypertictic 200 dome pistons, Dart pro1 aluminum heads with 215 runners, 64cc chamber, 205/160 valves, victor jr intake, Comp Cam 290B-6 Mech flat tappet cam @50 255/266, lift 536/540. set in @ 102 intake center line.
Ruppert 750 alcohol carb, hooker super comp headers.
No bottle/all throttle.

I would like to hear from all of you gear heads on this combo, what will it make, power/torc? @ what RPM,what do you think it should run in the 1/8th.

This car will be going out in two weeks, so please reply to this thread before it go's out, let's see who can come the closest & who really know's the game of engine/racing.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
6.95-7.0 if the weight is true at 3,300 pounds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts