Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Roth's and Roth conversions. Surprised that these have not been mentioned. Roth's have no RMD. Easier to pass on the your children.
An annuity that have a "locking" clause can be a part of a total package for retirement but should not be the only egg in your basket.
Real Estate in the right places, where rents are reasonable relative to local pay scales, can be very good investments but.. a bad tenant can make you cringe.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I am spending mine on flying lessons!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My 401K is in the hands of my financial advisor - Oppenheimer & Co. as I know absolutely nothing about investing or moving money. They buy and sell stock based on their judgement - that's what they get paid to do.
You should at least see or know what fees you pay annually to shuffle your money around. You pay them regardless of where the market is. You might be paying them more than "what they are paid to get judgement."

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
You should at least see or know what fees you pay annually to shuffle your money around. You pay them regardless of where the market is. You might be paying them more than "what they are paid to get judgement."
I think he's kind of like I am, as long as the guy is making me money, good enough.

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
say your ready to retire and you have a 401k. Do you leave it alone, move the money to the bond type fund? move the money to a annuity type company? jim0
Leave it in and if you can manage it, take the minimum required distribution. I have a beneficial IRA and even though I’m 54 I have to take mandatory distributions, I turn back around and reinvest it in the same IRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Whatever you do, don't take out an annuity...
Roll it over to a good mutual fund...

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
Roth's and Roth conversions. Surprised that these have not been mentioned. Roth's have no RMD. Easier to pass on the your children.
An annuity that have a "locking" clause can be a part of a total package for retirement but should not be the only egg in your basket.
Real Estate in the right places, where rents are reasonable relative to local pay scales, can be very good investments but.. a bad tenant can make you cringe.
Roth conversions cost money to do, so its not somethign one would recommend in a public forum.

PS I used rental property income as an illustration in a " how to build a retirment portfolio" talk I used to give. Gotta love the rising cash flows to counter inflation. HINT! HINT!

Andy, bene IRAs cannot be contrbuted to , but your ROTH can be!

I wanna know how all that bitcoin crap is working out!?

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Roth conversions cost money to do, so its not somethign one would recommend in a public forum.
A little misleading.. they don't generally "cost money" as in some sort of fee for doing it to a third party, but one would have to pay taxes on the converted sum.

I suspect income taxes will go up over the next 20 years, and not by a small amount. Indeed we may get to European levels (regions of 42%) for the average income earner. If such an increase comes to pass the Roth which is non-taxable when taken will be a very sound investment.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
^^^^^^^

Never assume tax rates will remain the same. And they go up more than they go down. And inflation will push many/most of us into higher tax brackets even if tax rates stay the same.

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
A little misleading.. they don't generally "cost money" as in some sort of fee for doing it to a third party, but one would have to pay taxes on the converted sum.

I suspect income taxes will go up over the next 20 years, and not by a small amount. Indeed we may get to European levels (regions of 42%) for the average income earner. If such an increase comes to pass the Roth which is non-taxable when taken will be a very sound investment.
Someone has to pay the tax bill on the conversion amount as a taxable distribution. There , now it's not "misleading", but as clear and simple as it truly is.

USE A ROTH CONVERSION CALCULATOR so you get a handle on the tax liability.

PS we've "relaxed" that assumption that we will be paying lower taxes in retirement for a while now. Makes ROTH conversions even more "potent."

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm learning this right now. My mother in law passed away recently and we just had to provide her IRA company a withholding % because my wife and my wife's siblings are each going to pay tax on the inheritance from this IRA. We gave them an estimate of 24% Federal and 5% state.

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
The new rules on inherited IRAs suck. You essentially have to liquidate them over 5 years anymore for non-spousal beneficiaries.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
The new rules on inherited IRAs suck. You essentially have to liquidate them over 5 years anymore for non-spousal beneficiaries.
It is, in essence, a wealth tax. There is an incentive to spend it all before you pass and leave nothing to your children. In this way they keep the population poor and enhance the power of the government.
The government would not want the average family to build wealth.
If you have "means" you can hire lawyers to create corporations, LLCs, Sub chapter S, non profits, etc. that can be used to protect the wealth from government taxation. Can you say Clinton Foundation?

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
buy a bunch of stuff that holds value and pass it onto the kids. govt can track stocks, bonds, bank accts. things with titles. silver, gold, guns, cash can easily be transfered without anyone knowing who gets what. jim

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
It dont matter in an 401k/IR A Jim, its all "tracked". PS gold and guns are iffy, depending on your location. The NSA invented bitcoin to track all the big boys " hidden money". Crooks think they so smart.

PS Today we added to AT&T and started nibbling on VLO, both yielding 6%, in IRA accounts. Likely buy more AGNC soon too. ( pays north of 6%!)

Valero ( VLO) shows a valuation in the upper 70s to maybe 80. And we;re driving our butts off. Earnings in two weeks. Value will be clearer then. Seems a bit too cheap. ( on a personal note, I dig their renewable diesel operations. I hope to run a future diesel Elky on that juice! )

Total return equities suitable for a managed IRA account, aka a rolled over 401K balance invested for total return, i.e., income and some appreciation. ( preferably of income, although that's not so easy to find)
PSS Jim, the fed estate taxes don't kick in until you have 14.5MM of worth. While theymay tinker with that, personally, I aint so worried about Uncle Sam wanting a piece of my little pie.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm learning this right now. My mother in law passed away recently and we just had to provide her IRA company a withholding % because my wife and my wife's siblings are each going to pay tax on the inheritance from this IRA. We gave them an estimate of 24% Federal and 5% state.
I think there was probably a strategy there where she could have pulled more out in recent years and paid hardly no tax on it given that her only other source of income was social security. She wouldn't of had to spend the extra money, but could have just put it in a savings account or reinvested it.

I'm guessing though her advisor was advising her to pull out as little as possible seeing he was probably charging a % of the total IRA. The more left in there , the more for him.

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
Hey , not all of us that charge a % of assets are that myopic and self-absorbed. Mainly if she didnt need the money , most folks take the RMD only. M is "minimum" . Yet you are correct, there are plenty of times where accelerated disbursements from an IRA are best for estate planning reasons.

Especially now with the new 5 yr rule on inherited IRAs in place.

PS AT&T reported excellent earnings this am, but its still a long way from our $40 target~!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is, in essence, a wealth tax. There is an incentive to spend it all before you pass and leave nothing to your children. In this way they keep the population poor and enhance the power of the government.
The government would not want the average family to build wealth.
If you have "means" you can hire lawyers to create corporations, LLCs, Sub chapter S, non profits, etc. that can be used to protect the wealth from government taxation. Can you say Clinton Foundation?
Can you say Trump Organization? "I haven't paid taxes in at least ten years. That makes me smart."

Trump Charity fined and all Trump family members barred for life from ever running a charity again for using charity funds for nothing but personal gains, including Eric taking funds from his charity that were supposed to be for children with cancer.

At least the Clinton Foundation has an A+ rating and does good for a lot of people worldwide.

But, hey, let's not let a few facts get in the way of bashing the Clintons every chance we get.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts