Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gas station just started selling straight methanol for those ff cars and it made me wonder if it could be a viable alternative to racing gas, does anyone know what would need to be changed to run this stuff?
Brief low down on the plant
'67 427 +.060(440 ci)
10.8:1 squeeze
forged pistons
closed chamber heads
crane hyd roller
296i/304e, 112 degree
lobe sep, .610i/.632e
lift.
mallory 110 pump,
1/2" aluminum line
850 demon
Amy info is appreciated, thanks.

------------------
Sean Flanagan
Heavy '73

·
Registered
174 Posts
well new carb for one thing, i've spoken to a guy who spent 2 grand converting to akly and now he is changing back because it ran worse then before and carb was screwed(company didn't help him get it fixed) stick with gas and just add 8 bottles of octane boost or something. my 2 cents

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Alcohol requires a mixture that is basically double what gas requires. This means the carb must be recalibrated to deliver 2 times as much fuel as normal. Once this is done, methanol has a high octane level, and since youre running 2 times as much, it has a cooling effect on the engine. More power is available with alcohol, but there is one major drawback. Since you have to run 2 times as much fuel, your range decreases to 1/2 what it is on gas. so if you now get 10 MPG be happy getting 5 on alky. Other than that it is extremely corrosive and attracts water.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have run alky for years with fuel injection.
Everything 68 malibu says is right on.
Just 1 more word of caution methanol eats rubber and aluminum for lunch. Make sure all lines are neoprene or alcahol compatiable. With the aluminum I always blow the alcahol out and spray in some form of lubricant (WD40)The problem with aluminum is if you let it sit in alky it will corrode. If you use your carr alot it is not a problem. Oh yeah one other thing make sure your fuel pump is compatable also remember you need twice the volume. Now with that said, once you get your system right you will NEVER USE GASOLINE AGAIN. I swear man the fumes will put a smile on your face like a chesshire cat

Good luck
Jeff Palazzolo
66 ElCamino
St. Louis Mo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.