Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my problem is my car just dies like if you pulled the plug on the tv, it usually does this at slow speeds like 10 mph or in park, it also cuts out sometimes between 1500 and 2500 rpm when it dies sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes it doesnt i have a stock hei, accel super coil which are both about 2 years old (how long should a coil last) also could it be the voltage regulator or engine ground straps? any information would help thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt install it myself but there is a orange wire from the fuse box that connects with the big red wire to the cap and those two are connected to a yellow wire that leads out to the starter if this helps.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Intermittent problems like yours are the worst to work on. If the problem doesn't sit still it's hard to chase. The problem has nothing to do with ground straps. Highly doubt the alternator.
If it is electrical, it's probably something to do with power to the HEI or the HEI itself. A couple of thoughts.
I don't see why the yellow wire, from the solenoid, is tied into the HEI B+ (red/orange) lead. You shouldn't need it. The wire should go directly from an IGN terminal, on the fuse block, to the HEI input B+ terminal. I'd remove that yellow wire and check all connections on the red/orange wire for tightness.
If that doesn't stop you intermittent problem, I'd suggest keeping a cheap test meter with you in the car. The next time it acts up, measure that B+ wire to ground with your meter. Think I would start at the fuse block connection. See if that lead has 12 volts on it without touching anything. That includes not turning the key off.
If you see 12 volts there, try and start the car. If it starts we haven't learned anything. If it doesn't, then measure the other end of the wire.
Don't know if I sound like I'm rambling. Just trying to give you some ideas where to start looking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just a couple more questions, where should the hei get its power from, and how would i hook up the yellow starter wire to the ignition, i thought thats what the blue one did, one more thing if this has anything to do with it, my volt gauge needle wanders around always back and fourth from 14 to 15 and makes my head lights flare up and down this doesnt seem normal any more info would be great thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"where should the hei get its power from"

Your HEI was added to the car. It should get its power from the fuse block with your added orange wire. The wire plugs into an IGN (ignition) terminal in the fuse block. A terminal that has power on it when the key is on but no power when the key is off.

"and how would i hook up the yellow starter wire to the ignition"

You don't need the yellow wire. It's purpose was to give the old points coil 12 volts when you started the car. Modern HEI cars don't have this. In fact, modern starter solenoids don't have a terminal for the wire.

"i thought thats what the blue one did"

Which blue one? Maybe you are talking about a purple wire? That purple is the wire that engages the solenoid and starter.

"one more thing if this has anything to do with it, my volt gauge needle wanders around always back and fourth from 14 to 15 and makes my head lights flare up and down this doesnt seem normal any more info would be great thanks"

A guess would be that your voltage regulator is acting up. The 15 volts is too high. I like to install a solid state regulator because they are cheap and there is no adjustment. A Wells VR715 S/S regulator can be found at AutoZone for $12.00. Disconnect the battery before installing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one last question my voltage regulator is for a corvette but the reason i got that one is because it can be used for a wide range of alternators (the amps) and i didnt know how many my alternator was putting out so would i benefit from changing to the one you were talking about thanks for all your help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
All external regulators are for a wide range of alternators. A lot of times those "for Corvette" items only mean the price went up. I have a couple of Vette catalogs.
If the voltage, on the alternator large red wire, is hitting 15 volts, that's too high. Starts to overcharge the battery and push the electrolyte (acid) out of it. The advantage to installing a the solid state I mentioned is it's cheaper than the aftermarket mechanical regulators and it requires no adjustment (if needed). The regulator case needs to be grounded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts