Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have two, hopefully simple questions that envolve the same thing. first of all, my oil preassure guage, when i have enough oil in, it reads around 60 on the guage, lately when im driving its up around 70, eventually it will go back to 60 and sometimes it takes longer than other times, why is it doing this, and what should i do. 2nd my temp guage never goes above about 210 at the most, and usually it never goes about 190 or so, lately when i first take the chevelle out, it runs up to about 240, and just for a sek, then it goes back down to normal, it never stays that high for more than a few seconds, its just never done this before, what could be causeing this,

thanks
Brad

------------------
http://69chevl.homestead.com/brad.html

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Oil pressure drops when oil is heated. It becomes less viscous and "thinner" so psi does drop with a warm motor. Could you just be compairing pressures between a cold morming start and a warm post run start?

As for the temp gauge:

I assume you have a clutch fan on the front? They tighten up wiht heat and have less lossy-ness. BUT they should spin less if they think the motor is cold. Granted this isn't too much, but it helps the car warm up in the winter months. It could be faulty. If not I suspect your temp gauge or sending unit. Unless you have a thermostat that is "on at 240, of at 190" but I doubt it.

Hope that helps or gives a few ideas.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thermostats are cheap. Put in a new one. It may be sticking closed when the engine is cold. This is why your temp goes to 240, that's what it takes to make the thermostat open to allow flow. Once it opens, it may work reasonably normally, and your temp stays around 190. Not sure about the oil pressure, but try the thermostat replacement and see if that has any effect on your oil pressure. Even if this doesn't solve the problem, it's a good place to start and only cost about 5 bucks.

------------------
R.E. Stancliff

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the new thermostat. Replaced mine and have had no problems.

My oil pressure is normally about 60, but has never gone up. Have you checked the guage?

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
mine acted similarly and it turned out i had a leaking head gasket. the temp would spike up like that then fall back to normal. i guess the pressure would rise then the leak would drop the pressure untill it got low enough to close the gap, then pressure would build up.....
then i changed the thermostat. it did not help. after a few weeks i started to see white vapor out the exhaust. then knew what it was.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.