Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart the gage cluster from my '66 to do some cleaning. I used Windex on a paper towel and had no problem with the individual gages and lens but when I wiped the metal bezel that covers the gages, the paper towel went black. Now this bezel has a light gun metal look to it. It doesn't look bad now but it isn't right and I'm afraid it may rust. Was this a flat dark grey to light black?
Wish I had another to compare to.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I am doing the very same thing on my 66 cluster right now. I have the metal bezel out and could send you a digital picture, but I am afraid this process will change the look of the color. This evening I will give it a try on my own monitor. If the result is fairly reasonable I will inform you. To me the color seems like you described.

Rob

------------------
www.si.hhs.nl/~rob

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Did the windex clean the gauge faces up OK??
I was worried about using any kind of amonia cleaner on the white lettering. Also my 66 gauge cluster looked like it was a semi-flat gunmetal gray color!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again Rob for the picture. It came in just as I remember and I'll be able to use it to match colors.
M22,
As far as using Windex I can tell you with some certainty, DON'T USE IT ON THAT BEZEL PLATE. Otherwise it didn't take the white lines off the gages or the orange off the needles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts