Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anyone had some suggestions about what colors are good for a 1971 Chevelle Malibu with a vinyl top, which can be either black or white... My interior is Sandalwood.. and in mint condition so I prefer to keep it that color... it has buckets and console..

I was thinking about a Dupont color called Platinum Pearl Metallic with black stripes and top... but I would like to know what everyone else thinks so that I can be open-minded....

Let me know what looks good and what doesn't and maybe even some suggestions as to what colors cover well and what don't..

------------------
--------
Julia
'71 Chevelle :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
What color do you like ?

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally was thinking about a forrest green with white stripes and top, but then I saw a Nova that was silver and I liked that too... so not sure what to do..

------------------
--------
Julia

·
Registered
80 Posts
Julia, I've got a '70SS396 that has been repainted porsche red (and done fairly poorly at that) and I'm considering going back to its original color of fathom blue. But a friend of mine who is a Chevelle nut told me nothing looks better on a Chevelle than metallic silver with black stripes - maybe someone on this website may have such a car to post here or might can direct us to a photo somewhere of a silver Chevelle. I'd like to see one before making a decision about what color to re-paint mine.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
That's a question I'm mulling over right now as well...I once had an 80 Buick Regal that had a brown/gold color paint on it, and am thinking about using that with a lighter version of the gold for the stripes on my convertable....just not sure how it will match with my top-however it should match the sandalwood interior you have quite nicely.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
also forgot-look on the cover or hot rod, or is is PHR-they have a 70 SS that is silver-looks slick! good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
You might want to look at fathom green. I painted my 69 SS396 this color,it was the original color of the car. My car has parchment interior, but I think the color would look good with a Sandle wood interior. You can't sere the color very well on this picture (not my chevelle) but it's worth a look.

www.chevelles.com/feature/oct98.html

------------------
CRUISER

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really like a color called candy apple metallic with white or black stripes, but that is a tri coat paint and very expensive. I was going to paint my 70SS that color, but then decided to put the original cranberry red with black stripes and it looks very good. Just make sure that you put extra coats of clear on so that you can wet sand and buff the car to a mirror finish! Big difference in appearance. I hate cars that have a rippled or orange peal paint job, even most of today's '99 cars and trucks all have orange peal. One other thing, if you put stripes on your chevelle, make sure you put original SS stripes on -- buy a stencil kit to do it right. I have seen a couple of cars with stripes that didn't have the 5/16" stripes and they look so cheap. I have also seen cars with crooked stripes and it looked terrible as well. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are some great suggestions, please keep them coming, and the pictures are great. It makes the decision a little easier when I can see the entire car with the color instead of the little color chip they show me at the shop. I really like the silver though, I think that I may be leaning a little in that direction--

Do you all think it should be a bright silver metallic or something a little darker??? Kinda undecided in that one, too.... any more suggestions??

------------------
--------
Julia

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
No offense intended to the owners of cars with the grey, but the silver is awesome. For something completely different, if budget is not a problem, how about DuPont's Chromalusion (sorry is I misspelled it) - you know the one that changes colors dependent upon the angle and available light?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a '72 Convertible with black top and black interior. I will be painting in an original Pewter (Dark Gray Metallic). This is an excellent choice.

the photos are great. Does anyone have a photo showing the original Pewter color?

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
Start surfing around and you will find 100's of pictures to look at.
Go to:
www.chevelles.net
Click on web sites and start surfing.

Also,
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/1923/picturegal.html
has a lot of good pictures

Picking a color is a personal choice. What someone likes you might not etc. Try to find a picture of the exact color combo that you plan to do, i.e. Car color, top color, stripes or no stripes. Even the body style, wheels and grill ( black SS or silver Malibu) will make a color combo look different.

Try to attend a Super Chevy Show, Cruise Nights, etc etc and look around.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
225 Posts
Look at the cover of Chevy by the numbers '70 - '75. It has a daytona yellow '70 SS with black stripes and black vinyl top - It looks awesome. I think the black vinyl top really sets it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something else to consider. What type of "attitude" do you what you car to convey? Classic? Hotrod? The smallest details can dramatacly change your cars "attitude". Mags or hubcaps?, Fat tires or stock skinnys?,car sitting level or the rear end two feet higher then the front?.Paint color does make a certain statement. Just something to think about. In the end , you're the only person that must be happy with the choice. Good luck.

------------------

Joe30

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Saw a 71 SS454 at a car show last month. It was light metallic blue, code 022, Mulsanne blue. I don't know how well that will match up with the interior. But that's the color my 71 will be soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.