Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for reccomendations for a good carb & manifold combo for the street. I have a 355 with afr 195 eliminators and a lunati hyd roller with 231/239 @ .05 and .535/.550 lift. I'm currently running fuel injection setup but I'm tired of trying to tune it and dealing with all the computer problems. I think the car will be more enjoyable with a good carb setup instead of dealing with the hassles of efi. Also any reccomendatons on a distributor would be great. Also I'm running a 700r4 and 4.11's with a 9.5" 3200 stall converter. I don't have much experience with carbs so alot of this stuff is kinda new to me. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
i have the same motor basically but with brodix ik180 heads.
what issues are you having with efi? what efi are you using? what software?

i run a holley 300-36. its okay. i want to throw an air gap on it. i think it needs it.

aaron

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running the holley stealth ram setup with the commander 950 ecu. I ran this setup before with stock heads and a smaller cam in my 89 firebird but I used the factory ecu and had someone burn a chip for me. But this is my first time dealing with the commander 950 and the software doesn't like my laptop because it uses windows vista and it doesn't have a serial port for the communication cable so I have to use a USB adapter but that creates more problems. I've read that alot of people running this software have had to find an old laptop to get everything to work. I think the commander 950 is a good setup but it's pretty involved and I think it will take along time to work all the bugs out. I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle that's why I was thinking about just putting a carb setup on. I haven't found anyone local that can help me tune it. I did find someone that says he can dyno tune it for around $500. But he's a couple hours away and I don't know how good he is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kind of rpm range you thinking you want to run up to?

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
you can pick up a good used Win 98 laptop for less than a new intake and carb and fuel system would cost you.
i might be mixing up my bulletin boards, but i think one of the Holley efi engineers posts here. he has been known to offer up free tech support. again, it might not beo n this board but one of theo ther borads i go to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For rpm range I was thinking around 2000 to 6000 to best match my cam. As for the laptop I realize I can pickup an old one cheap but then I still have to do the tuning and get the bugs worked out and summer is getting short. I don't know if I want to spend the rest of the summer trying to tune the car. Also my current fuel system will work with a carb because I'm running Howard Stewarts mechanical racepump so all I have to do is change a spring in the pump and regulator and it will work with a carb

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would go with a holley street hp 750 and an edelbrock torker 2 intake... You'll be happy with it...

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Performer RPM and Speed Demon 650 double pumper. You live in MA, so cold weather will be an issue with an air gap style intake. I ran this same setup on my old 355 SBC with the same heads, but slightly larger solid ft, and it ran flawlessly, until the AFR studs broke off!! I hope you upgraded to ARP studs.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
turn your usb port into a virtual com port and your cable will work.
w/e software you use. if you install it, you can right click on the program go to properties and set it to run in service pack 2 (xp). it should work good then.

aaron

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I think I would go over to Team Camaro and ask JimM how he got his Commander and Vista to behave. He runs the "efi in your modern classic" forum over there. He also comes around here some. Pretty sharp guy.

I remember him griping about the serial port deal too.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I would run a Performer RPM Air Gap, and 750 HP double pumper.

Dave
x2 :yes:

Although I'd bet you have an easy fix to get what you got working, although it might not be easy to figure out what that easy fix is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doug, I do not have a wideband. I think I'm going to see if anyone local has an older laptop for sale cheap and give tuning another shot. If I don't succeed I think I'm going to go the carb route. Thanks to everyone for the reccomendations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts