Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like as suggested, show a picture of the front of the carb. The choke horn as it is called has numbers on it. It also appears to be missing some parts and the choke linkage has been butchered to hold the choke open. I wouldn't try run it the way it is.
Gas Auto part Cylinder Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
72 Z28 or Corvette.

• Helpful
Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you are looking at a VortecPro engine I would suggest getting Mark to supply you with a new carb set up for that engine as well as a distributor, then just drop it in the car and go. That carb you got there has been cobbled together by the looks of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are looking at a VortecPro engine I would suggest getting Mark to supply you with a new carb set up for that engine as well as a distributor, then just drop it in the car and go. That carb you got there has been cobbled together by the looks of it.
In talking with him, he suggested sending to a company (whose name I can't recall) and have them go through it, then send it directly to him and he would set it up on the new motor. That's how this got started.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That is a service replacement ~750 cfm. carb for a `72 LT1 Camaro or Corvette with a 4 speed. Most refer to them as a 780 cfm, but the straight leg primary boosters on the `71-`72 carbs reduce flow over the earlier carbs with downleg primary boosters. It has the correct metering blocks on it, but someone has swapped out the correct choke components for Chrysler parts. That's not a big deal, the choke hardware can be put back to original, but in order for it to have a functional choke, it'll need to be installed on an intake that has the OEM provisions for a divorced choke, which most modern aftermarket intakes don't have--however it appears the vintage Edelbrock intake it's on now may have provisions for a choke thermostat which means it might be able to work.

These particular carbs also have an odd idle circuit calibration from the factory that would need to be tweaked to run properly on a warmed up engine.

Aside from that, it should work quite nicely up to moderate power levels--but much past 525-550 HP and it'll be pushing its limits, there would be better power in a bigger carb.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a service replacement ~750 cfm. carb for a `72 LT1 Camaro or Corvette with a 4 speed. Most refer to them as a 780 cfm, but the straight leg primary boosters on the `71-`72 carbs reduce flow over the earlier carbs with downleg primary boosters. It has the correct metering blocks on it, but someone has swapped out the correct choke components for Chrysler parts. That's not a big deal, the choke hardware can be put back to original, but in order for it to have a functional choke, it'll need to be installed on an intake that has the OEM provisions for a divorced choke, which most modern aftermarket intakes don't have--however it appears the vintage Edelbrock intake it's on now may have provisions for a choke thermostat which means it might be able to work.

These particular carbs also have an odd idle circuit calibration from the factory that would need to be tweaked to run properly on a warmed up engine.

Aside from that, it should work quite nicely up to moderate power levels--but much past 525-550 HP and it'll be pushing its limits, there would be better power in a bigger carb.
I bet I can remember the name of the company Mike was talking about now! LOL!

I'm just looking to build a muscled up street car and talking to Mike about his 517HP version BBC. Pump gas capable, vacuum booster brakes, not going racing, so do you think it would make sense to bring this carb back to life as it once was, or is it better to just move on? I'll get a pic of the intake for reference below.
Edelbrock Performer 2-0
Photograph Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior

·
Registered
491 Posts
In talking with him, he suggested sending to a company (whose name I can't recall) and have them go through it, then send it directly to him and he would set it up on the new motor. That's how this got started.
That is exactly what I would do in your shoes. That is a really neat vintage hot rod part, and if Mike raises his hand and says he'll make sure it works - trust him.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I bet I can remember the name of the company Mike was talking about now! LOL!

I'm just looking to build a muscled up street car and talking to Mike about his 517HP version BBC. Pump gas capable, vacuum booster brakes, not going racing, so do you think it would make sense to bring this carb back to life as it once was, or is it better to just move on? I'll get a pic of the intake for reference below.
Edelbrock Performer 2-0
View attachment 746070
I believe that intake will work with a divorced choke style carb, but the way Edelbrock designed the adapter plate is a little goofy (why they couldn't just copy the factory design is beyond me) so it'll require a little fabrication to connect--but nothing major. To address the next obvious question--I know many don't mind running a chokeless carb on the street, but for something relatively mild like you're wanting, I would definitely advise running a choke. If you set the carb up rich enough to idle when the engine is cold, it'll be too rich when it warms up.

I don't know where Mark stands on that intake, I know he prefers to use the 7161 on many of his builds, but it doesn't have provisions for a divorced choke.

There is one other option if you want to retain the divorced choke setup and a "vintage" look, but again, I'm not sure where Mark would stand on this approach--but I'm betting he wouldn't think too highly of it. Back in the days before there were good aftermarket oval port intakes, many used to use the original GM "163" factory aluminum dual plane intake which was used on rectangle port heads. This easily allows an all-factory-part choke system. There is obviously a significant port mis-match, but it's a bolt-on deal using rectangle port gaskets and it became an accepted performance upgrade back the day. If nothing else, this might present an interesting opportunity to dyno test that approach and prove whether or not this was/is a worthwhile endeavor.

That's about it for your options to use this carb. Other than that, you'd need to go with something that took a manual or an electric choke.

EDIT I almost forgot, there is one other option to be able to use that carb with an aftermarket intake. The Weiand oval port Stealth 8019 is very similar to the GM 163 intake in design and does accept the original GM divorced choke system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts