Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Chevy Lovers,
My headers are rusted out on my 64 ss. has a 283.what company sells headers that I can install without having to use a hammer to make them clear various frame parts?what headers give best access to plugs and starter? thanks tony

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Tony,
At this point in time it seems the best technology in headers is the ceramic coated type. Summit sells Dynomax brand for about $195. with free shipping and no tax (if you are out of state). I have 1 set of each on SB and BB cars. I am very satisfied with installation, fit, clearance and the fact that nothing seems stick to them that can't be easily removed. There seems to be no header that is completely easy to change plugs with. The best thing to do for plugs is go to a short plug such as Bosch or Accel (the AC plugs are just too long). I found that is the best solution. Also with ceramic headers, try not to handle them any more than necessary (ya, right) until after they have been "cured" by exhaust heat. A pair of clean cotton gloves would be helpful. Once they have been cooked, almost nothing will stick to or stain them.

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tony, I have been using Dynomax ceramic coated full lenght headers for three years and they look as good as the day I put them on. Things get a little tight on the passengers side. You may look into the shorty style of headers, will give you more room but performance may go down.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Tony-
I'm with DZ and 64 Elk, get the Dynomaxs from summit. I also have a 64 SS but mine has a 327 and I used the painted variety of the headers DZ is talking about from Summit.(the painted ones are 90 bucks instead and if you are in somewhere sunny like So. CA or Arizona they will work fine(after the paint burns off just remove and paint with a high temp rattle can paint, BUT if I had to do it again and had the $$$ I would go ceramic from Jet-Hot in a heart beat!)) For me the passenger side went in VERY easily from the top, and I ended up putting the drivers side in from underneath from under the drivers side went in as easily as the passenger side.
Good Luck!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.