Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help my identify the engine that this is? It is a big block in a 1969 chevelle and I am curious if it is a 396 or 427, and also is it a 2 or 4 bolt main? Thanks a lot!!!!
Block #: 3863512 or 3883512
(3 rd digit is hard to read)

·
Registered
368 Posts
According to "Chevrolet By The Numbers", 3963512 block was user in '69 427's and '70, '71 454's. It can be either a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt. We're all sitting on the edge of our chairs waiting for you to post the information stamped on the block surface at the front of the right cylinder head. You might want to post your VIN also.

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 01-25-99).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred for your reply...here is the other info you suggested to post:

Vehicle Identification - 1 3637 9Z346376
Number stamped on block - T1129LI
(and below that it looks like 19U152...
which fades out and is unreadable)
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
1 3637 9Z346376
1=Chevrolet Division
36=Malibu, Custom El Camino or Concours V8
37=2 Dr Sport Coupe
9=1969
Z=Fremont, Ca Assembly
346376=Production Sequence Number

T1129LI
T=Tonawanda NY Engine Plant
11=Nov
29=Day of Nov
LI=427-390HP TH400, RPO L36, 1 4-BBL Carb, Hydraulic Cam, 1969 Impala SS.

19U152...is the Impala's VIN number code
1=Chevrolet
9=1969
U=Lordstown, Ohio Assembly Plant for the Impala SS427
152....=Last 6 digits of the Impala SS VIN.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the info....one thing, is there a way to tell if 4 bolt main from these numbers? I don't want to pull the oil pan..... thanks!

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
390 hp were generally two-bolters, but check back by the oil filter where the fitting for the gauge goes. There are two areas that are cast into the block side-by-side, one being for the oil line or sender, and the other may not be drilled and tapped, or may be drilled and tapped and have a plug in the fitting. If it is drilled, tapped, and plugged, then there's a real good chance it's 4-bolt. My guess though is 2-bolt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish!!!! Actually, when i got the car, I was told it was a non-original 427, and I just wanted to check. Can you imagine falling into an original COPO????? The stuff dreams are made of!
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the side of the block and I can see where the oil sender is tapped. Do I look directly behind the sender to see the second area to be drilled and tapped or directly in front of the oil sender? Both in front and behind of the sender there appears to be an area that could be drilled and tapped. The area directly behind the oil sender has a rod that is sticking out (maybe the pivot point for the clutch?) and the area directly in front of the oil sender is not drilled and tapped. I hope I am somewhat clear in the description...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.