Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
To me it's a pretty nice car, if it isn't full of bondo and such. You couldn't build one for that given the price of 'project' cars now a days... If the body is as good as it looks and the mechanical parts are in good working order I would say that it is fairly priced.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
pretty well done as long as its not full of bondo as stated above. would be nice to see some undercarriage and trunk photos for rust below. price is fair IF it all is as advertised.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I was going to say that it's a bit under priced. I understand it's a clone, but that looks really clean.

Why wouldn't this be upper 20's ?

Unless there's some hidden problem.

Edit: Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Looks like mid-20's at BJ happens.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Home
It's not priced in the upper $20's because it's in semi-rural Tennessee. Location matters.

Steve R

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's not priced in the upper $20's because it's in semi-rural Tennessee. Location matters.

Steve R
So you could fly back, buy it, drive it back to SF, cover the gas money and have enough left over for pizza ? :D Other than the suck weather, that doesn't sound too bad.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,417 Posts
I think this is a father and son business. Check the bottom and frame good. I think this was the place a guy on here had bought a car from them a while back and the frame was rotted out in areas.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As everyone else has stated I think it's a veryfair price if it's not full if bondo and the frame is good. It looks good but you would need to give it a closers look to make sure you know what your getting.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm with everyone else. Needs to be checked in person. If the frame is good and body isn't loaded with filler, it's a good buy.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here's the verdict... We took a road trip all the way from Indiana to Tennessee, 620 mile round trip, only to know within minutes that we didn't want it. :noway:
The car wasn't terrible but it sure wasn't as nice as it seemed in the pictures. The body work that has been done, most of it looked fine but a few places were questionable. The bottom of the right fender was a mess. To me it's the small details that tell the true story about the condition and I saw a lot of things I didn't like. The bottom of both doors stuck out a good 1/8-1/4". A rust hole in the metal near the vin plate. The issues with the door(skin?) lip, a little spot of rust in the bottom of the door, door jams and around the trunk channel were not smooth and not sure if there are underlying issues or just careless work, around the windows has an excess of window glue where they reinstalled the glass, the driver side A pillar had rust, or should I say rot on the inside near the top and you could see that there was some repair in the corner of the roof in that area as well. Every single piece of chrome window trim was dinged and dented so bad. I cannot believe it didn't show at all in the pictures. The undercarriage and frame both looked pretty good. The bumpers, door handles and mirrors were good. Wheels and tires were good. The rest of the interior besides the console and the inside trim around the windows was pretty good. Engine compartment was fine but looks a little better in the pictures than it did in person. Motor sounded good but was not adjusted right and would not stay running if you tried to let it idle. We didn't even bother driving it. Overall not terrible for someone looking for a decent driver but not a $25k car in my opinion. I wouldn't have even bought it for $20k but someone else might, that's only because I know we can find a better car for our budget. I have to say I don't think the guy was necessarily trying to be deceitful, I just think our definition of nice is different. He was very nice and refunded our deposit no questions asked. And that folks is why you should never buy a car sight unseen. Pictures never tell the whole story. Thanks for all the input! :beers:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wow! Glad you got the deposit back. 1/8~1/4 stick out on the doors should be noticeable. I have a car like that and everyone kept telling me the door wasn't closed. It was because of a 1/4 replacement that wasn't done right.

I guess the old "too good to be true" is still true.

Edit: just went back and looked again at the pics. This is really odd because those doors do not look off by that much, and those pics actually look really good. I did notice that none of the pics showed the lines of the doors. The engine thing is odd too, he could have posted a video of the engine running. Sorry you had to travel that far.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Glad you made the correct decision. I bought my 67 in Arizona 7 years ago, I live here. I looked at many GM A body cars 64-72 over 1 1/2 years. Even here there were many vinyl roofed cars with rust under it. If you want numbers matching it makes the search harder. Me, I like to make the car better so that was not a concern. Keep looking, don't rush, you may be sorry.

As you look at more cars you will educate yourself on them and when you find your car you will know it. Get in the trunk & under the car with a flashlight. Good luck on your search! I drove my 67 today, I feel 18 when driving it. I'm pushing 70 & loving life! OMG I showed my plate # LOL!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Glad you made the correct decision. I bought my 67 in Arizona 7 years ago, I live here. I looked at many GM A body cars 64-72 over 1 1/2 years. Even here there were many vinyl roofed cars with rust under it. If you want numbers matching it makes the search harder. Me, I like to make the car better so that was not a concern. Keep looking, don't rush, you may be sorry.

As you look at more cars you will educate yourself on them and when you find your car you will know it. Get in the trunk & under the car with a flashlight. Good luck on your search! I drove my 67 today, I feel 18 when driving it. I'm pushing 70 & loving life! OMG I showed my plate # LOL!
Your car is beautiful and gorgeous color!

Funny how things work out. We actually just closed the deal on this 67 that we have been trying to get for the last few months. We started out pretty far apart on the price but was finally able to agree and it was only a few miles from our home! We couldn't be any happier with how things worked out in the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts