Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are right in the middle of rebuilding the engine (sb 350) for my 69 Chevelle, and we kinda wanted to do a bit of research before we started buying new parts.

We sent the block to get done (overboarded a bit), the crank to get polished, but are stuck for what to do with the cam, carb, intake/exhaust manifolds, heads, and pistons. We are shooting for around 350hp or so (would be nice to get 1hp/ci).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys have an engine which produces around 350hp (anwhere from 325-375 is fine). If so, what combo of engine components do you use? Even if your car produces more or less, please respond...it'd be interesting to know. If anyone knows where I can get some additional info (books, websites), also feel free to respond.

Here's what we're thinking of, but we don't really know if it everything will work "good" with each other.

cam - RV cam or lumpy cam
carb - double barrel 600cfm
intake - high rise single plane
heads - 2.02 intake valve
exhaust - coated headers
pistons - hypertectic or forged (not cast)

Thanks for any info...

- Matt

------------------
- Matt
'69 Chevelle

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Matt, back up for a second. What is the rest of the drivetrain? What is the intended useage of the car?

I'm no pro, but I see a few inconsistencies in your preliminary parts list...anyway, why dont you define your goals so these guys can give you pertinent advice. They'll save you a bunch of money and help make sure this puppy RIPS the way you want it to.

p.s. hypereutectic are cast. NEVER use a open plenum with an RV cam....etc...

First question, what is the intended rpm range of the motor? What is your gear ratio and trans??

------------------
Member #62 Gold/ACES 03112
67 SS396(427-3X2)
Be Big, Be a Builder

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Block - 4 bolt 350 .030 over with a Scat 383 crank.

Pistons - KB Claimer series hypertectic flat top 383 pistons with 2 valve relief.

Heads - SportsmanII's 2.02/1.60

Cam - Comp Roller CS 280H-R10 ([email protected] I/E .525 lift & 110 Lobe sep.

Carb - Holley 780 vac sec

Intake - Z/28 alum dual plane

Exhaust - Doug's shorty 1 5/8"

Being setup to be about 9.8:1 compression. It will make max HP by 5000rpm and max touque around 4500rpm. This will be mated to a 700r4 with a 2200-2500 stall converter and 4.11 gears along with 27" tires. This is going in a 69 camaro convertible weight is about 3600lbs.

Hope it helps,
------------------
...Dennis
The '69 & the '96
Team Camaro
Camaros Limited

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gene:
You're right, I did leave a lot of stuff out, mainly becuase it's a little unknown right now like the rest of the drivetrain. The tranny is up in the air, and who knows what rear end we'll be putting in there. I'm hoping to have 5 spd overdrive with about 10:1 overall ratio in first gear or so. Intended RPM I'm guessing would be around 3000-3500 before shifting. Basically, I just wanted to know what setup is used out there, and how much horse it generates. The stuff that I put down for what we are thinking about is really what I was thinking about (and I don't know too much about engines (I just learned what all the parts do) unlike my Dad who does it for a living). I'm sure that there lots of incositencies in the list
, but it helps to throw it out there and get the feedback. Those two points (about hypereutectic and RV cams) of yours is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for from my list...thanks

You pointed out one major problem with asking engine questions. Finding information about setup is actually kind of hard (a google search returned nothing really relevant), so I thought I'd post here. The problem with engine questions is, as you've shown, that nearly all the information about the car is needed in order to be accurate. However, in cases where the other info itself is undermined and not stable (i.e. the other components will change), I had to start somewhere...imagine the responses I'd get if I asked for advice on setting up the entire drivetrain/suspension/body for a Chevelle. All of it must be done at once for best results, but that's some major information overload

DjD:
Thanks for the info....this is exactly what I was looking for. Something so I can have an idea of what will do what (this will be really helpful if more people post theirs). Now I know that I can't really look at each part in isolation (it's how they work together), but at least its a starting reference point.

- Matt

------------------
- Matt
'69 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by Matt73 (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
not my combo, but this will get you into the HP neighborhood and not be too radical.

vortec heads (new only $400)
KB flat top hyperutectic pistons,
performer rpm intake (for vortec heads)
comp cams 270h cam/springs/lifter set
holley 650DP
dynomax coated headers ($200 too cheap
)
stock bottom end.

should make around 375-400hp if you get the compression around 9.5-1
the KB flat tops with 70cc chambers are around 9.5-1 and im not sure what the vortec heads are. check the KB site for piston specs.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Here's mine:

Block: 4-bolt main 350 .040 over with stock cast crank and rods.

Pistons: TRW forged 4-valve relief flat top full floating pin.

Heads: Edelbrock aluminum heads 70cc chambers. Run out-of-the-box with 2.02/1.60 valves

Valvetrain: Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 268 with matching valvesprings, retainers, locks. Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers.

Carb: Holley 650 double pump (a 750 would be better for the top end).

Intake: Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap.

Exhaust: 1 5/8 Headman full length headers into 2 1/2" pipes and flowmasters.

Trans is a TH-350 with a B&M Holeshot 2000. Rear-end is a 2.73 peg-leg. NOTE: my combo would be a lot stronger with a 3.73 posi and 2500 or higher stall. I orginally planned to go that way, but I acquired a 454 so my combo is going to change drastically. Compression is around 9.5 or a little less and my '71 'Velle weighs 3400.

------------------
1971 Chevelle
1994 Impala SS
1996 Schwinn when both are torn apart :)
The Silver Bullet
"If you don't have extra parts after a rebuild..you did it wrong"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.