Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get detailed picture of a stock 1970 SS convertible firewall without air conditioning?

There's a hole (about 3/8 inch) directly behind the distributor, and a square hole next to accelerator cable hole.

Wondering what the factory used these for.

Many thanks, Joe.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLIES.....THIS SITE IS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by SS454JC (edited 11-04-99).]

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
The square hole by the accelerator cable is for the 350 trans cable. It attached to the pedal rather than the carb. The factory put in a plastic plug on the other trans models. I have one if you need it. The cable goes in the lower hole on the pedal assembly and had a slide clip adjustment, it is a pain to adjust but it looks better under the hood. The round hole could be for the vacuum lines that operated the AC controls and ducts. This is usually where they entered the car.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 11-03-99).]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Factory air cars have an independant wiring harness that has an integrated rubber grommet that pushes into the round hole.
The square hole is also used for the wiring harness for a Cowl Induction hood (cars with CI hoods didn't come with a 350 auto tranny).

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
The Cowl Induction/TH400 harness on my 70 SS is one unit -- with a 3/8" or so circular rubber grommet that passes through a hole *near* the square TH350 kickdown hole. The square hole is plugged on my car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The square hole is plugged on my car as well, I have a 70 cowl induction SS396 w/o air. Also, the 3/8" hole directly behind your distributor is probably for one of the plastic thingies that push through the firewall to hold the insulation on. I took mine out, and I plan on using the hole right behind the dist. to run the wires for my MSD box.

I have a couple pics of my firewall, I don't know how useful they will be to you.
www.operationhavoc.com/chevelle/images/firewall1.jpg
www.operationhavoc.com/chevelle/images/firewall2.jpg
www.operationhavoc.com/chevelle/images/firewall3.jpg

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

[This message has been edited by Havoc (edited 11-03-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts