Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I someone who didn't know rock asked me to name the 3 classic rock albums, I would probably say Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, and Crime of the Century. Your opinon will for sure vary.

I love (most) blues music, but I don't know which albums to buy. The blues I don't like is the stuff that sounds almost happy and quick tempo. So, what are the 3 albums that define that slow, hard hitting blues?

I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk.... "that music... it's so depressing..."

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You can google 'greatest blues' and come up with hundreds of suggestions.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I like, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa, Keb'Mo', Walter Trout, Paul Rodgers, Johnny Lang, Chris Duarte Group, Johnny Lang, cocker, and the list goes on...

Good Stuff...

Big D

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
S.R.V. "In The Beggining", has a version of "Tin Pan Alley" that just is incendiary, he's all of about 22 maybe 23 and feelin it, plus it's live and gives you a great feel for his talent.

Jimi Hendix, "The Blues"...

anything that had Son House's "KILLIN FLOOR" on it. anything by Buddy Guy.

Howlin Wolf-Muddy Waters "The London Sessions"

Freddy King "Gettin Ready"

there is a good movie on cable right now "Cadillac Records", it'll give you a good feel for who these guys were, little walter, muddy, wolf, edda.

i'm a huge blues fan and can go on forever, new guys joe bonamasa, johnny lang, k.w.s. are good, but to get that feel, to get where your a real fan, you have to go back, get deep, get dark, get midevil, and that means you have to find Robert Johnson, Son House, Big Mama Thornton, all the kings, early freddy, albert and b.b.

there is a great album by fleetwood mac, chicago 1969, early peter green before he went screamin mad, and played his ass off with the likes of buddy guy.

once you start gettin deep, it'll hit you just how much was stolen from the pioneers of american music.

i listen to everything, and there is nothing that reaches deep inside me like the blues. it's our unbleached history, it comes from the soul..... wish Dwayne Allman would have stuck around longer, it would have been amazing. **** Taylor was way ahead of everybody.

theres lots of good stuff out there...

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Stevie Ray Vaughan .................. IN THE BEGINNING or BLUES AT SUNRISE
Gary Moore.............................. BEST OF THE BLUES
Kenny Wayne Shepherd............. 10 DAYS OUT
Eric Clapton/B B King.................RIDING WITH THE KING
Eric Clapton.............................SESSIONS FOR ROBERT J.
Muddy Waters........................... BEST OF..
B B King....................................BEST OF....
Chris Rea..................................DANCING DOWN THE STONEY ROAD...
:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
You can start just about anywhere but you have to go back to the roots....Delta and Chicago. Then listen to little appreciated T. Bone Walker from Linden, Texas. He is credited for electrifying it and bringing the guitar to the front of the stage. Linden is also the home of Don Henley. Then try Freddie King from Gilmer Texas.

But if traditional blues are a little slow for you all you have to do is listen to almost any British group that came over in the Mid 60's. The great blues artists had all fled to Europe in the early 60's and re worked by people like the Yardbirds. As the seventies rolled around guys like Johnny Winter and SRV caming busting out of the gate and it was described as Texas blues. Not too long ago it was turned up again By Shreveports K.W. Shepard , Johnny Lang and another pretty good local boy Wes Jeans. Listen to another Shreveport band, The Bluebirds. Their founder Buddy Flett is respected nationally and now in poor health. Jim Suhler who plays in George Thorogood's band and usually opens with his band, Monkey Beat, is worth a listen.

As Bill said their is just too much good stuff out there. Other than Hendrix's live, I like Electric Flags' Killing Floor.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Elmore James.."Dust MY Broom" cd...........you'll be crying by the end........It's so mournfull, you honestly begin to think the world just beat the $hit out of him.........i'm depressed just thinking about it.....:sad:

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Stevie Ray Vaughan .................. IN THE BEGINNING or BLUES AT SUNRISE
Gary Moore.............................. BEST OF THE BLUES
Kenny Wayne Shepherd............. 10 DAYS OUT
Eric Clapton/B B King.................RIDING WITH THE KING
Eric Clapton.............................SESSIONS FOR ROBERT J.
Muddy Waters........................... BEST OF..
B B King....................................BEST OF....
Chris Rea..................................DANCING DOWN THE STONEY ROAD...
:D:D:D
Definetly good stuff!!::cool:yes:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, there's some diversity of opinion! I have some Stevie Ray Vaughn, and some Allman Brothers. And actually, some ancient Rolling Stones is quite bluesy. But they're white guys, so in my misinformed/warped opinion, I don't consider them real blues.

I was at a Boeing plant once, where the division between management (my group) and union labor was clear. My group stopped by a tool setter to talk about the operation he was doing. He had some really good blues playing on his CD, but turned it off. I've never been into that whole management/union battle gig, and said, "hey, turn that back on!" He seemed kinda shocked when I walked over and talked to him, but was friendly telling me it was Duke (Robillard) Meets (Ronnie) Earl. I bought a copy and it's great. Now that was a highly valuable business trip :yes:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've been a blues fan forever. I don't care if it's old or new. One that is a must see. as in video, is Claptons "The Robert Johnson Chronicals". It gives real insight from Claptons point of veiw as to how good of a writer and player Eric thought that Johnson was. It was a real eye opener for me when Clapton said on a song or two he just could not reproduce the picking that Johnson did in the song, and to try to reproduce what Johnson played would be a life long work. That's pretty high praise coming from someone who I consider the greatest guitar player to ever live. He don't sing to bad either. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts