Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for a while. We have been using the AC Delco Ultimate or Supreme or whatever, UPF25, in the Deluxe. I don't really know how good it is. Evidently there was some sort of study done on filters, but I seemed to have missed that and can't find a search here revealing any more info. I heard Fram was the absolute worst!

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
TH
I don't have the site bookmarked any more, but what you heard agrees with what I made of it. Apparently the crimp in the filter media of the Fram is not very strong. I switched to using Delco filters. There were better filters listed but at twice the cost.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I lost the link to that site also and would like to have it again, I've searched here and the web with no luck. AC Delco and the top Wix were the top finishers in the test and fram was at the bottom, as I recall they had bad bypass valving and cardboard supports, but A1 advertising, I've talk to a lot of people that buy them just cause they added that black grip area.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

W

·
0 Posts
I was a die hard Fram person until I bought my 93 vette, I changed the oil and put the trusty Fram on, filling it with oil, all was well until the next morning. I went to fire up the red rocket and heard a nasty rattle until oil pressure built, never heard that befor. The AC52 filter for the LT-1 motor has a drain back valve, traps oil in the motor to prevent cold start rattle.

Mr. BillK had a field day with me on this one, he has used AC for ever. Live and learn, so now the fleet gets AC filters!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
339 Posts
Went out and bought the latest Fram with the bottom dipped in crud. Said right on the filter, Made in Mexico. Cost about a dollar more for this? Back to the trusty blue job for me. tom

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
I use the AC Delco PF-35L. This is the one quart size filter with the synthetic filter media that filters down to 10 microns. They are about $8.00 at a good GM dealer. I have seen these types of filters at the local pep boys as the new Delco Gold or Ultimate as you mentioned, they sell for $8.99. See if they have a UPF35, this is a one quart size that hold more oil.

W

·
0 Posts
AC also makes a near two quart spin on filter. AC832 is the number and if you have the ground clearance you can use it. It allows you block the by-pass for 100% oil filtration at higher pressure and flow.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
167 Posts
I too cut up a bunch of oil filters at one time. After getting mixed reviews from people I asked on different filters, and little opinion based on any kind of fact, I decided to tear into some myself. The OEM ones (just tried motorcaft and AC) as you might expect were decent as indicated in the above site. I must of had a cheap WIX because it didn't impress me. Hastings was a brand that an old-timer (not that old just older than me) had recomended. He had raced, towed and just plain driven a lot, and strongly recommended these filters, saying his engines never had premature wear problems even in heavy use. After cutting one open, I was quite impressed. They were built like the proverbial brick sh*thouse, heavier guage metal components, tons of filter media, welded all to hell inside, decent looking valve system. I really felt sick when I cut open a Fram filter, all that cardboard crap inside, I felt sick because I had used these filters a lot, I never kept any cars that long (more than a couple years), but who knew what kind of premature engine wear they were promoting. I have also cut open used filters (kinda messy). All I can really tell from this is that after 2000 miles, the clean side of the Hastings is cleaner that the clean side of the AC. I have always just used the plain AC line, not the synthetic or anything because I didn't really know they had such a thing.

The unknown also is how often the filter makers change their designs, I try to pay attention to the case and look down the holes inside. If it ever appeared to look any different, I'd be concerned.

One last comment, most of us know this but some may not, when using an AC filter, or cross referencing to another brand, always refer to the AC PF35 and not the PF25 that is usually listed for your application. The 35 is longer and holds more oil. But screws on the same. I have yet to see an application that the 35 doesn't fit, even though they alway list the 25 for most car apps.

Sorry for the long reply, I just thought I'd share my experience.

[This message has been edited by SSteve L (edited 10-16-99).]

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
The 832 filter is for a truck application but hangs about even with the bottom of the oil pan so there really isn't a ground clearance problem. We have a 454 on an engine stand right now with one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have always used Fram, and have never had any trouble,,,I had a 68 camaro w/427 that was on the strip more than the street,I hada 83 Nissan p/u that I sold with 143,000 miles on it....I have never had any problems using FRAM filters....my 2 cents...

------------------
72 Chevelle 461 ci.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have also used Fram in EVERYTHING I have owned for 20 years - including BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki,Kaw.,motorcycles, MGs, Opels, Nissan, toyota, Olds, Chevelle, Chevrolet, and more without any (known) problems, BUT, I am never too stupid to change.Being an engineer, that tech. stuff convinces me. I have wondered for years why my Nissan truck rattles with no oil pressure for 3-4 seconds every time I start it. Now I know! Fram leakdown. I will change filter types then post whether it stops or changes. Hell, according to the study, those dumb Deutsch filters at Auto Zone are better than Fram.Hey guys, advertising works - Fram advertises best but seems to be one of the worst!

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Do things the way you like em, forget what the other guys say!

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
I saw K&N oil filters in my local speed shop a little over a week ago, anyone have any comments about these?

Chris R.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.