Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the average or good pressures/temps for a 68 with a 383..oil pressure/water temp..also my car is kinda slow on the takeoff but halls *&$ right after the first few mph... on the freeway its a beast its perfect .its the timing right that will fix the slow takoff?????????

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My guess would be the gear ratio in your rearend that causes the slow take off and great hiway cruising. It's possible to advance you timing a bit and get a little more from your low-end, or lighter springs in your distributor so your advance comes in full at a lower rpm. Advancing your timing will increase temps a bit though. Id say your normal operating temps should be around 195+ degrees. JMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my temp is about 180 to 195 and my oil is about 25 to 60 on the highway..i dont want to increase temps or pressures, just launch speed....

[This message has been edited by jlone (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good rule of thumb for engine oil pressure: at least 10psi per every 1,000rpm...For instance, if you're at 2,500rpm, you'd want at least 25psi, etc...

------------------
I work to live, but make money for fun...when am I gonna start having fun?

John's '71 Malibu 383

·
Registered
171 Posts
What trans/gear/stall and tire size are you currently running right now??

-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC Gold Member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

<A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com/rs/6E3E9082-2AF2-11D5-B429-0090277A760E" TARGET=_blank>My Pic Show
</A>
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.