Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a new project - a 70 SS 4spd. I'm not having luck, everyone wants top dollar even for cars that need lots of work. The dealers have flooded the market with overpriced and sometimes fake cars. Anyways, I've been thinking about a Malibu for a frame off project. I'm trying to get a feel for what they are going for around the country. My intent is to build a car to drive and enjoy. It will be a clone, but I do not intend to build it and sell for profit. I found a car locally, the guy is asking $3500 for it. It is a 75 75 paint code with red bench interior. It will need quarters and front fender work. The frame and floors look good. The small block in junk. I'm planning on a big block anyway. So what do you guys think, $3500 for Malibu that needs total resto or $15000 or higher for a Real SS that will probably need the same amount of work.

[This message has been edited by 70Z15 (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
IMO I think that 3500 is a bit much for the car you described. I have seen drivers going for $1500 to $2500 around here.

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
We get a paper here that is called the buy, sell, trade. It covers all of Vancouver Island. There are a couple of adds in there I will type out for you. If anyone wants phone numbers, email me and i will get them for you. They are word for word.

1972 Chevrolet Malibu SS 454 LS5, 4 speed M22 close ratio. Cowl induction hood F41 suspension 3:31 twelve bolt posi, bench seat. Engine not original $10000

1970 Chev Malibu. Very nice collector car.all original. 307,2 dr hardtop, new high quality paint, gold w/brown vinyl top, factory GM mags, very nice interior as well. $9800.00
Both these are in Canadian dollars. The U.S. dollar is worth a little over $1.40 right now I believe, so even at ten grand, you could pick one of these cars up for about 6 grand U.S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would agree with Nate that $3500 for the car you described sounds a little steep even here in the salt belt. I paid $5000 for my Malibu (see pic in profile). It is a factory air car, original bench seat interior in excellent condtion. The only rust is a little bit of bubbling on the drivers side lower fender behind the wheel. Quarters are original and rust free as are the floors and trunk. It was purchased as you see it in the pic. Keep looking you will find the right car for the right price.

------------------
Gary
70 Malibu, 355ci/TH-350
ACES Member 3455
Team Chevelle Member 901
My 1970 Malibu

·
Registered
834 Posts
I agree $3500 sounds pretty high seeing as the engine is no good you said. If it was in good mechanical condition i'd say $3500 was fair but if it needs mechanical AND cosmetic work, it's too much for a malibu.

Note from the ad above, there is no such thing as a 72 malibu SS, so it's most likely just a malibu.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
For everything you do, this burnout's for you.
CDE Power!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Do a search here www.collectorcartrader.com and leave the state and region fields on the right side of the screen blank. Put in any price range you want. Ever since the last quarter of last year, (after Sept 11th) I've seen some wild price swings. It's almost impossible to establish a basline price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I paid $2,000 for my Malibu 350/auto interior mostly missing, what was there is shot. Rebuilt original motor I don't know whats in it but it hauls a$$. No dents mint floor pans, some rust in the trunk and behind some of the wheel well molding. Cowl hood w/stripes. Was asking $3500 took the $1500 I talked down and spent it at NPD for all new interior. Putting it in this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.