Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*raises hand*

I am sure this has been addressed before and is probably a simple fix. I would like to know what alternator will fit my 72 chevelle stock 350ci brackets. If I have to change the wiring it for me is no problem, just need to know what car (alternator) to ask for.

I run a car audio shop and (of course) got a lot of draw on mine. I swapped to the (SI? 63? amp) alt. and I still have problems keeping a charge up on it. I've heard of the conversion to a "cs" alt. and it intrigues me. I am looking for something around 90-110 amps with (hopefully) around 20-30 at idle (my engine wont idle less than 800-900, big cam). What position should the mounting tabs be? Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Go to www.madelectrical.com and read the tech articles on the "new system" and the 10si and 12si alternators, I just did this on my `70 and have more power to all accessories than ever, and headlights you wouldnt believe. I ordred a power-master alternator from summit, its a 100 amp that can be wired either way,(i.e. three wire, or one wire). If you go this way YOU ARE GONA LIKE IT.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not particular on which one to use. I havent bought anything yet, so I am totally open to suggestions.

John_Muha,

That 94 amp should do the trick. Do you by chance know how much (at idle) this thing puts out? I drive around town a lot, and I hate the look of my headlights getting dim when running my heater and radio. Also, is this a direct bolt-on since I have already up'd the alt. once?

I used your tech article and did the first one that bypassed the external regulator. This helped a bunch, but I need about 20-40% more than that.

edit: Oh yeah, if the above will work for me what make, model, and year of vehicle to ask my local parts guy for?

------------------
Dont worry about the world ending today, its already tomorrow in Australia...Charles M. Schulz

[This message has been edited by da_bull (edited 10-21-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I think the 72 is clocked at 3 o'clock but too late to out and look. Take a look at yours. The MAD link should tell you the make and model to ask for.
The tech ref article isn't mine but the work of Wes Vann.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts