Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a one wire alternator in our 69 and am at a sticking point. The thing did not come with wiring instructions just a test sheet! I broke out my Detroit Iron CD-ROM and found the wiring diagrams to help me figure out which wires to eliminate. I also found the CS and SI alt. install letters in the archives here. But the one thing that has me is what to do with the brown wire off the old voltage regulator. Since it eventually makes it way thru the car to feed the heater switch what do i need to connect it to for power? Do I need to just tap it to a constant 12V source or what?
Anything that will get me goin in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Casper

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Caspr

Originally the brown wire was used for the idiot light it also provided necessary voltage for proper operation of the original alternator \ regulator. If you are installing a 1 wire alternator the brown wire is not needed or used. If you have an idiot light dash the “GEN” light will no longer function. The heater does have a brown wire supplying power but it is separate from the brown wire connected to the regulator.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read on this site that the GEN light provides the resistance for the alternator circuit. Someone with more expertise should confirm this, but I seem to remember reading that removing the GEN light from the circuit will cause problems. My two cents.

------------------
Gordo

1968 Beaumont Custom

"Arrogance leads only to Ignorance"

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
“I've read on this site that the GEN light provides the resistance for the alternator circuit”

Gordo

I have read the same thing. Sorry everyone I don’t agree.

If you look at a wiring diagram of the warning light dash harness you will find that there are two wires connected at the bulkhead for the brown regulator wire. One (brown) is connected to the GEN light. The other (brown with white tracer) is a resistor wire that is connected to the ignition switch. This resistor wire by its self is all that is needed for proper operation of the charging system and it will charge with the GEN light burned out
If you car is equipped with the gauge dash with a factory or a correct replacement harness, it has only one wire connected at the bulkhead, the BRN\WH resistor wire from the ignition switch.

“The blue wire should be jumpered to the brown wire according to the tech ref 14. this is what I did and the idiot light works correctly”

Big Jim Sorry I mean Big James
You are correct.
The alternator you’re using requires three wires for it to operate. It’s nice to use this one because your GEN light will work and warn of charging problems. The alternator in question is a one wire alternator. Just connect the red #10 wire to it and you’re in business. However it will not accommodate a GEN light. None of the other wiring associated with old regulator or alternator is needed or used.

Either way the brown wire in question does not connect to the heater.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 06-27-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts