Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a pretty nice 67 El Camino today. It's got a balanced 283 with a quadrajet and a TH350 with a shift kit that were both rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. The car was restored in 92 and hasn't been driven much since. Very little rust......just a couple spots in the bed were all I could find.

Now I know a 283 is no race engine, but what do you think of them? Don't they have a pretty good reputation? Do you have any advice for me? I'm thinking this might be a nice car to cruise around in, and still be able to pass a few gas stations without pulling in.

------------------
Jeff
Bright Red 2000 Camaro SS (SLP #1315) w/Ebony Leather, M6, Hurst Shifter, T-Tops
No SLP Options
My Camaro

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Jeff I own a 67 ec with a 283 4 speed and I love it hits a good lick and I have a 427, 454 just waiting but im hesitant cause this hits a good lick and gets good milage I run around all over in the ec and still have gas while my 454 pickup says more please nice ride i paid 6 for mine new paint etc. but I feel I got a good deal your call but that bed is handy also !!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If the price is right, go for it. 67 ECs are very nice looking, particulary so with the upscale trim package. Nothing wrong with 283s. They aren't very powerful and cost more to rebuild but this one seems in good shape. Should make a great cruiser. You can always put a larger engine in in the future.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street
Pat's Page (CR Calculator, Utilites, car specs)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I have a 67 that I purchased for two- grand. I fixed it up and it has turned out to be a great crowd pleaser. It runs low 13's in the 1/4, and gets lots of attention at the track. My hot rodded 350 gets about 8 mpg, but speed is more my thing. I have made some new mods and expect it to run 12's next time out! You can't beat the thrill of beating SS Camaros, Ram Air Trans Ams, Ford Cobras, etc., with a 30+ year old Elky! Check out my unfinished web site for a pic of the car(www.67Elky.50megs.com).
Good Luck,
Danny

------------------
1967 El Camino, 350/.40 over,ported & polished camel back heads,750 double pumper, Comp cams 284 with .507/.510 lift,
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold,Hooker headers,posi w/ 3.73 gears,induction hood, TH400 tranny with Quick silver shift kit, and ET Drags for traction, (1/4 mile = 13.112 @ 103.612 mph)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.