Team Chevelle banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle 396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Not

Not talking about where you put the key. There is a switch on top of the steering column, not sure where it is on your 72.
the only switch on my column is the ignition switch (key hole) and the hazards

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle 396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Kyal this has nothing to do with your problem but PM or Conv. me your address and I'll send you a new US made voltage regulator for Free sent to your door, its for a stock charging system with external volt regulator alternator though so if yours is all stock it should work fine, its of no use to me
i just want to say thank you verry much, your a really cool dude for doing something like that, but its alright 👍 i move back and forth from my moms and pops alot. ill pick one up in the future, but for now the car is parked and i dont plan on moving it untill i fix everything on it. thank you once again

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,775 Posts
Kyal if you dont need the voltage regulator right now you might need it in the future lol, I have a VR sitting on the shelf now for probably 7-8 yrs for one of my Harleys, ya never know and this is a $55 VR free to your door just save it until you need it...new spare parts are a wonderful thing lol :ROFLMAO: Edit Oh Yeah I am a cool dude lol well sometimes just ask my wife, usually Im called something else haha :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Bill just thought Id try to help a young guy out that likes these old cars too (y) :)

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
Disconnect both battery cables and leave it disconnected until you are done here:

Clean the battery terminals and the battery cable/connector...thoroughly. Make shiny, re-connect. A small wire brush or some emery cloth works great. Do this with your grounds as well, especially the large black/negative cable that goes to your engine block. Dirty connections will have you chasing your tail.
Thanks Kevin. That went through my mind and I forgot to put it into the post.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,119 Posts
Did you really think this is a Performance topic? moving to electrical. Please post in the appropriate section. Perf is not a catch-all section.

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks Kevin. That went through my mind and I forgot to put it into the post.
No worries. I wasn't trying to correct anything you said as much as I was agreeing with you. You were spot on.

·
Registered
939 Posts
the previous owner never finished the car, and something is wrong with the wiring, whenever i put the key in run or start the car. i know it has power because the bright light and right turn signal come up on the dash (even though i have my brights off and my turn signals off) the button by the parking brake is weird. whenever i press it one headlight goes out, and if i press it again, both are back on. i know its a personal problem but those are the only problems ive seen so far with the wiring. also if i put a bulb in the dome light socket, it will stay on no matter what as long as the battery is connected (noticing this the first time, i tried taking the light out and it was extremely hot and would have probably blew up if i didnt disconnect the battery in time) oh and i also have a multimeter
Oh boy ...lol. sounds like a butcher or a stoner had been on duty lol

Reactions: SFD

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's an automatic. Ok put the car in neutral and try to fire it up . That costs $0 and 0 cents and takes 4 seconds.
If the car fires up it's a problem with the shift linkage and or parking pawl in the tranny.
When shootin at trouble Shoot at the closest easiest target first . Every time .
.I've seen it over and over and over .
Take a trip 5 times around the block to ultimately find out the problem was right on the doorstep lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
Did you really think this is a Performance topic? moving to electrical. Please post in the appropriate section. Perf is not a catch-all section.
The kid dont know man . Pullin rank on the boy lol

Reactions: SFD

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
As far as the interior light staying on in each door jam by the hinges you will see a little push pin switch and when you open the door the switch goes to ground which turns on the interior lights. It will also make the key in buzzer sound (driver side switch only) if the key is in the ignition. You complained about the buzzer not working to so maybe the previous owner disconnected the light and buzzer since that circuit always has power. Those two switches can be adjusted in or out to make contact with the door when closed to open the circuit and shut off the light and buzzer if it hasn’t been Jerry rigged.

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
110 Posts
I like Bob's thought...you need to check that neutral safety switch in the steering column. When this happens move that shifter around up and down. Push it up too. See if it starts.

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
but there something i forgot to mention... the first time this happned was after i noticed something. On monday before i went to my dads house to put on new shocks i noticed that there was a small black wire that came off my big black wire (negative wire) we call them battery cables for my battery, i noticed the small wire was (im assuming) grounded to the car with a regular screw. The wire had previously been repaired in the middle of it with a yello crimp, but on monday i noticed the crimp disconnected from it. I told my dad because he shortly arrived after i noticed it and he said i would be fine (n) and the car should start right up, so i started the car and i did noticed it seemed to strugle to start unlike anytime before. we drove to his house, put on new shocks and the next day came home back to my moms. this is where i was explaining in the reply above "The previous time i had just got back home from my dads house. i pulled in my moms driveway and ran in the house to see if she wanted anything from the store and we talked for about 5 minutes. I ran back out to start the car and the same thing happened. so i disconected the battery and tried again in the morning, to have the car start right up as if nothing happened." that morning i ended up going back and taking off the old crimp and crimped the two wires from the crimp (the small wire) back together. I then looked at the positive battery cable and saw that it had a small wire coming off of it, but it was connected to nothing! what are these small wires for? could this be the cause? maybe i didnt connect the small wire back together correctly. sorry if i rambled to much, heres a picture of what i was talking about
That wire is a body ground and is an important part of the ground path for your electrical system. It should be part of the negative battery cable terminal at the battery and then be connected to the fender with a small self tapping bolt or a nut and bolt.Either way will work but that is an important connection.
As far as grounds are concerned, are there any ground wires going from the cylinder heads to the firewall behind the engine ? If there aren't any ground cables back there then that fender cable is even more important.Replacing both battery cables & the grounds might be the cure for this no start condition you're having.

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
Sorry Kyle, I messed up and got your year incorrect.

The picture you posted of the box and wires is your horn relay. It has A red wire that leads to the starter POSITIVE termiinal and is usually protected by a fusible link near the starter. You can check and clean the connectors on the starter after disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery.

Another wire leads into the car to power everything inside the car, ignition, headlights starter, etc. It should be protected by a fusible link that is usually hanging outside of the wire loom, but someone might have buried it in the loom. This wire also passes through the bulkhead connector from the engine compartment to the fusebox. If you do the above test it will help isolate the problem.

If your car won't start again, test for power on the bolt coming from the horn relay. If you have power there, then turn on the ignition and check all the fuses for power. If we find something without power it will narrow down the search.

The button on the floor is the headlight dimmer switch. Your headlight going out when you press the switch could indicate a defective headlight bulb, a bad connection at the headlight, or even a bad ground at the headlight connector. The dimmer switch is likely ok. Pull the connector from the headlight switch and check for power on the tan wire and green wire. Then press the switch and check for power on the wire that had no power on the first test. If you get power to the tan and green wires, your bulb is bad. I would install 2 halogen bulbs if one of yours is out.

Your main ground wire appears to be connected to the engine block. Make sure the terminal at the block is clean shiny metal to metal contact.

The extra small wire on your positive cable is not used on a 72.

The small wire on the negative terminal should have a shiny clean connector, bolt, and sheet metal.

In the picture, it looks like it may have paint in the connection that might interfere with the electrical connection.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
(this happens a good 1/5 times) whenever i turnoff my car and come back in a few minutes, i try to start car. as soon as i turn the key to start it, all the dash lights and power to the vehicle turn off as if the battery dies. i found that if i disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes, then the car will start back up (as if it recharged???) could this be my alternator? if so what a good alternator for a 396 chevelle? something that will be able to run ac and a nice sound system in the future.
May have missed something previously posted, but here goes anyway.

When the problem occurs does the starter click and then stop? If so, it sounds like a starter solenoid issue; as the solenoids get older the copper contacts get deteriorated and make less effective contact. Combine this with the heat from the exhaust and you get the above symptoms. Waiting 5 minutes lets the heat dissipate and the magnetic field is able to pull the contacts more effectively.

There are several fixes for this, some temp and some more long term. If all else fails I would pull the starter, open the solenoid and inspect the contacts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had the same problem. Cycled the shifter from park and back again and it turned right over. Something simple to check. Neutral safety switch problem.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts