Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 1970 CHEVELLE SS PASSENGERS SIDE FLOOR AREA HAS BEEN GETTING WATER SEEPAGE FROM SOMEWHERE EVERY TIME IT RAINS SUBSTANUALLY. THE CARPET IS SOAKED. READ SOME PREVIOUS TECH NOTES FROM PRIOR SUBMITTALS (WET CARPET AND RUST GREMLIN HIDEOUTS) HAVE REMOVED KICK PANEL AND VENT, CLEANED OUT DRIP HOLE AND RE-SEALED VENT W/ NON-HARDENING SEALENT. BUT RECENTLY GOT WATER ON FLOOR AGAIN. I AM GOING TO HAVE MY WIFE SPRAY THE CAR W/ A HOSE TO SEE IF I CAN SEE A LEAK, BUT WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS WHERE ITS COMING FROM. ITS ONLY WET FROM SEAT TO FIREWALL, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Your on the right track with the wife spraying the car while your in there. Don't go and start at the roof though. Start low and move up so when she gets to a spot that it starts dripping you'll know where to look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine was leaking under the chrome piece under the wipers. The butyl caulk was dry in that spot and leaking. I just cleaned and added silicone and put back the chrome. Problem fixed. Hope yours works out to be as easy as mine.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
1970muscle,
You state that this occurs when raining. Are you sure thats the only time? Check to be sure your heater core is not leaking, too. That is what caused my passenger side carpet to be wet! Sometimes not a real obvious thing, and it will rot your floor - guess how I know!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem in my '72 Malibu. I spent $110.00 and had a mobile glass guy come out and remove the windshield and back window. At the same time I was ready with the POR 2-part epoxy. I had a series of small rust holes that would leak whenever it rained. I painted, then patched with the POR epoxy, then the glass guy replaced the seals in both front and back. He says it is guaranteed not to leak for 10 years.

Pity I have had the Chevelle in parts in my garage for the last 4 years.

Why oh why did I remove the front sheet metal to make the disk brake swap easier...but that's another story...

Bill Beiser
'72 Malibu 350/350

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 68 Had the same problem and the kicker panel is hallow - the air passes through there - debris can plug it and the water poors from the vents on the floor.

I took inner rocker covers (when you open the door), and used a coat hanger on a pre-drilled hole to unplug it. Was full of leaves.

Hope that helps!

F

·
0 Posts
Mine would get moist all the time right where the feet would lay. Once I put in my new carpet I had thought it was some simple surface rust but it ate away some small holes and just enough rot to get moister and water through into the carpet, soggy soggy! Welded in new floors

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Originally posted by phocksphyre:
1970muscle,
You state that this occurs when raining. Are you sure thats the only time? Check to be sure your heater core is not leaking, too. That is what caused my passenger side carpet to be wet! Sometimes not a real obvious thing, and it will rot your floor - guess how I know!

John
Get your nose down there and see if it smells like antifreeze. The smell is usually a dead giveaway when the heater core is leaking. In bad cases it will fog up the windshield too

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think my heater core is leaking. I just started using the heater this past week and my carpet is soaked under the floor mats. I smelled it and I can't tell if it its antifreeze or not, but the windows have been fogging up big time.

1. How do I stop it from happening on a daily basis?
2. What do you suggest that I do to clean up the mess and keep the floor from rotting?

·
Registered
271 Posts
In order to immediately stop it, that is to discontinue adding to the problem, you will need to:
1-Bypass the heater core (inside the engine compartment) and freeze your tail off until you find a replacement.
2-Imediately install a replacement.
3-Contact every radiator shop in the local area to see if they can and will fix it for a reasonable cost. (Option 2 might be faster and cheaper)
Good luck.
+++

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Dan. I am still not 100% sure if it is the heater core or not since it rained heavy yesterday and both sides of the car are wet (not just the passenger side) and no smell of anti-freeze. 1 thing is for sure, my carpet is soaked.

Any suggestions on cleaning up this mess? I was going to lift up the front carpets and use a space heater to dry the floor board, etc. It's ugly.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
how is your weather stripping?

·
Registered
6 Posts
weatherstripping is not too good (cracked in many places). I need to replace. A friend of mine had an 80 vette and mentioned that the "door drain holes" in the door got obstructed with leaves, which caused them to clog and allow water to overflow into the interior passenger compartment.

I have ruled out the heater core. Since this only happened after a hard rain, I plan to run a water hose up next to the windows (with the doors open) to test the weatherstripping and door drain holes next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts