Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Mark VIII fan from Houston Performance. I've followed all of the instructions on old posts concerning the fan, but there is one thing missing. How do I wire the three connecters? Is there a weather pack connection available? That thing just fits in there!

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1233564&a=9105086&p=37274567&f=0

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Utto gonna have to show someone else the secret handshake.

Look closely at the white terminal housing. The outter two posts have a + and - on it. Bingo.

Lord only knows what the middle one is for.

you might can order up the ACTUAL connector. I just use female terminals that are big enough to house 12 gauge wire.

I may have found a nice switching thermostat for this fan if your interested.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Mike beat me to the punch
...I did the same thing as he and just used female connectors on the ends - not as clean as the stock connector but works just fine.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://homepages.about.com/wescolby/1970bruteforcechevelle

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Rich, this isn't an exact comparison but for reference, I used to use a 2,800cfm Black Magic puller and a 1,600cfm Hayden pusher and this single MarkVIII outperforms both.

Chev-hell can confirm but I think those two Windstars pull as much as the MarkVIII does so it would be pretty close or maybe a tad better b/c the two fans combined surface area covers more of the radiator than the single MarkVIII (I think). On my radiator though, there is only a 6" wide section that's not covered by the fan shroud.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://homepages.about.com/wescolby/1970bruteforcechevelle

·
Registered
87 Posts
I may try the junkyard to find a Mark VIII fan before getting one at Houston Performance. What year and model was this ford fan was used in?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i'd say there can't be too many fans that can compete with this dual set up, BUT iv not seen the VIII in action, my battery is in my trunk and with the fans running all the electronics in the car went slow, tach was jumping, etc. i had to run a 4 guage cable from the back of the alternator (105amp late model) to the fans directly, now everything works and the battery doesn't go dead on me
im also running an MSD rpm switch to activate them after the engine starts to keep all my cranking power available, i just like having 2 fans incase 1 craps out and it also keeps it cool as a cucumber
shroud is divided so if only 1 fan is running it won't pull from the open fan that's not running which is neat, shroud also covers every inch of the radiator, AND another neat thing is you can feel the temperature difference on the 1 fan on the driver (where the hot water goes in) and the other side which is a MAJOR difference, from very warm to cool. i've spent a few bucks on it ($110fan,$20wiring/relays,$95alternator)so i've got over $200 but i needed the alternator anyway, mine was only a 42amp puting out 30amps, and the RPM switch i had laying around. i wanted to use the fans on separate thermal switches 1 at 165* the other at 180* but i broke 2 extensions trying to get the plugs out of the heads
so i figure the rpm switch works and im starting to like it
anway

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey chev-hell, do you have the twin fan aerostar fans? I have considered getting one of these, since my car does not have a shroud and I can't find one for a '65 in any of the resto catalogs. I like the twin fan set up over the VIII single, since they can be "staged" and cover all of the radiator, as you mentioned. also, with the motors being on either side of the C/L, they won't interfere with the pulleys as bad (a big problem ive heard).

Does the RPM switch turn them off at a certain RPM also? If they stay on, I think you will be burning more HP than with a stock fan.

Chuck
65 malibu SS convert.
283 P-glide

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
yep, it's the windstar fans, the clearance is good but tight on 1 side by the power steering pumpt, (i have the 1 that sticks WAYYY out for some stupid reason) the rpm switch just turns them on above 500rpm or so, it's just so they dont' key on and hurt when trying to start the engine. as a matter of fact too i just installed a 160* thermostat/new hose with less bends, and a CHROME (wow now it's even faster:rolleyes
o ringed neck, and today at 85* even ragging on it hard i can't get it over 170* before it went to around 187*
i do happen to have an extra set-up, if ya want it i'll well it at my cost. (bought 3 cuz they are hard to find) it's a stock radiator/pump on my car too. Either way, you can't go wrong with an electric fan, smaller, more HP, no "finger chopping", and you can turn em off if need be. not to mention it LOOKS COOL

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.