Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 2 months, my voltmeter (autometer pro-comp ultra-lite) has slowly started reading more and more. It used to work fine, reading about just above 14 while running and about 12.5 sitting still, with the car off.
After a few months of creeping, now it reads 14 with the car off, and running, it will sometimes go over 18.
The car is wired for an alt. from a new model chevy truck, and the entire car has been rewired with a Painless harness, and a Painless gauge harness
I've run through a list of things in my mind.
I thought it could be the internal regulator in the alternator but wouldnt that mean i would be blowing fuses? I have yet to blow a fuse.
Could it just be the gauge? How would I go about testing this?

I'm kinda stumped here guys, and help you can give would help me greatly. If you need more details, let me know.

thanks
-Matt

------------------
TC Member #1434
1971 Malibu 383, 200-4R
"It's not how much blood and sweat it took to get there, it's whether or not you have what it takes to finish it."

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Matt
It does sound like your regulator has gone bad. To check this, take a test meter and measure the large red wire on the back of the alternator. The car should be idling. Other side of the test meter goes to a good ground. Look for 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Suspect that you will see higher voltage just like your dash gage reads.
The fuses don't blow if the voltage goes high. They only blow if current (amps) goes high, like a shorted wire. Disconnect the battery when removing or installing an alternator.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like your VOM is off. Most use a 9v battery, you should check it. They also have calibration screws that you can turn to dial in on a know voltage or resistance.

If your reading 14v with the car off, suspect your VOM.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knipe, can you give me more deatils on this VOM ? Where would i find it, how do i adjust it?
I now know that it is not the alternator. It is putting out 14.56v running, but the gague still reads ~18.
This means that the gague is just not reading right. So how do i fix this?

-Matt

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/mattleuckchevelle.jpg" TARGET=_blank> 1971 Chevelle
</A>
383 stroker, 200-4R
Dyno results in 3 days.
"It's not how much blood and sweat it took to get there, it's whether or not you have what it takes to finish it."

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks like I used a term your not familiar with. A VOM "voltage ohm meter" is another name for a multi-meter. Most have little screw heads in the face (near the base of the meter) that are used for calibration. Without seeing which multimeter you have, it is impossible to give specific advice.

Keep in mind that new multimeters are very cheap these days and may not have calibration screws. Mine is pretty old.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sorry but I just realized your talking about an in-dash voltmeter. I thought you were talking about a handheld multimeter. If you have a multimeter (and you should), check the back leads of your in-dash meter while the car is running and see if they readings match. They probably won't. At that point, it is time to replace the in-dash meter or have it fixed.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts