Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and came home empty handed. :sad: I was a nice car too, I thought it was "the one". It was a 68 Chevelle I found on craiglist, advertised as an all original, one owner car in stock form with only 77k miles, no rust, a/c, power steering, factory power front disc brakes for $8250 obo. So I call to get the details over the phone as much as I could since it was about 1.5 hour drive one way from my house. The skinny is the car was bought by a local lady, it was handed down to her daughter, who handed it down to her daughter. So that all sounded good, owned by one family and bought locally. Title was clean, it ran and drove good, yada yada nice car come buy it. So I go see it today, the owner wanted to meet at a Pepboys and not there house. :confused: I see the car and it's straight, indeed no rust except a lil on the front fender down by the wheel. It was all there, down to the body side moldings and dog dish hub caps. The a/c compressor wasn't hooked up(no belt), the heater fan didn't blow, heater was bypassed cause the heater core leaks no doubt. Needed a new carpet, headliner, and dash pad. 10 year old Maaco looking paint job in a generic gray color, dull and scratched. Basically the car was just driven, garaged, and that's about it. But I saw the potential in the car, based on it's lack of rust and completeness I was willing to take a chance. Especially since I could've got it for $7400.

But then the deal breaker happened. The car was titled to the ladies dead mom, and hadn't been registered since July 08 so there was $224 to get it current. The title was all crumpled, signed, but practically falling apart. I called up my work, car dealership, and had them run the vin in the DMV database to see who it was registered to. It came up under a insurance company, and a title was issued in 2007. The one the sellers had was issued in 2006. I tried to go to the DMV in town and have them run it there but it was a hour and a half wait and I needed to leave town soon to go to work. I also searched for a AAA office, since some have DMV depts there but the closest one was too far away.

I didn't want to buy a car that I wasn't sure if I could get it in my name, with out some huge hassle. It just didn't feel right, so I had to pass. The ladies husband seemed unusually upset over it, especially since he said a guy wanted to come tomorrow and pay $8k for it. They swore up and down it was legit but I smelled a rat. It could've been fine but my gut told me to walk away so that's what I did. So the search continues, I will find a nice Chevelle or El Camino. Hopefully where the titled owner isn't dead :D

Sorry for the long post, I needed to vent

·
Banned
14,069 Posts
That's too bad,Jason.You did the right thing if you thought the paper work was in question. I learned a long time ago,be leery of anyone selling a car.:p

·
Registered
995 Posts
The search/fun continues. You'll find one. FWIW, when I was selling my '69, I didn't want strangers coming to my house to see the car either. For all I know, they just want to see where the car lives to steal it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's too bad,Jason.You did the right thing if you thought the paper work was in question. I learned a long time ago,be leery of anyone selling a car.:p
l:)

The search/fun continues. You'll find one. FWIW, when I was selling my '69, I didn't want strangers coming to my house to see the car either. For all I know, they just want to see where the car lives to steal it.
That is understandable, and that's what I thought at first. But in this situation it was another thing that made me go," Hmmm?"

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Call him in a week (like you were a different buyer) to see if it's for sale. I can see meeting in a neutral place. I don't necessarily need some stranger to come to my house and see in my garage and know I have what I have. If the title is signed, they should be able to transfer it to thier name. Tell them you have cash (check/whatever) ready if the title is cleared. They may realize that's a sticking point and decide it's worth the effort to get done.

I lost my dad in June, and I have a letter from the State of Wisconsin stating I have authorization to sell any of his property without having to re-title it first. A certified copy of that letter and a bill of sale was presented to the DMV when I sold his Suburban, a 32' trailer, and a 26' trailer. Each time I was not present (though I knew the buyers well enough to send them without me) it was accepted with no hassles.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Usually best to trust your gut! Smell a couple rats, meeting at Pep Boys, but a bigger question is why was he mad that he couldn't get your $7400 if he had an alleged buyer coming by with $8000 tomorrow? If it were me, and I had a legit $8000 offer, I wouldn't sell it for $7400. Tell him to pay the $224 to get the title current and when he does you'll give him $7600. Bet he won't do it. Jim.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call him in a week (like you were a different buyer) to see if it's for sale. I can see meeting in a neutral place. I don't necessarily need some stranger to come to my house and see in my garage and know I have what I have. If the title is signed, they should be able to transfer it to thier name. Tell them you have cash (check/whatever) ready if the title is cleared. They may realize that's a sticking point and decide it's worth the effort to get done.

I lost my dad in June, and I have a letter from the State of Wisconsin stating I have authorization to sell any of his property without having to re-title it first. A certified copy of that letter and a bill of sale was presented to the DMV when I sold his Suburban, a 32' trailer, and a 26' trailer. Each time I was not present (though I knew the buyers well enough to send them without me) it was accepted with no hassles.
What ercked me too was over the phone I talked only to the ladies husband, and we had good repore going. But when I went to see the car he wasn't there only his wife ,who I didn't know, showed up. I try to ask her questions about the car, all I get is," I don't know too much, it was my grandma's car, and we want to sell it." While I'm looking over the car she all of a sudden has to take her son to school so," Do you want it or not, a guy wants to give us $8k tomorrow." I'm not gonna make a descision on the spot, so I said go drop off your son and call me back. They wouldn't go with me to the DMV, they just wanted to give me the title and they get the cash and that's it. It was their way or the highway.....I took the highway home, cash in hand

·
Registered
13,476 Posts
Sounds awful shaky to me! :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
What ercked me too was over the phone I talked only to the ladies husband, and we had good repore going. But when I went to see the car he wasn't there only his wife ,who I didn't know, showed up. I try to ask her questions about the car, all I get is," I don't know too much, it was my grandma's car, and we want to sell it." While I'm looking over the car she all of a sudden has to take her son to school so," Do you want it or not, a guy wants to give us $8k tomorrow." I'm not gonna make a descision on the spot, so I said go drop off your son and call me back. They wouldn't go with me to the DMV, they just wanted to give me the title and they get the cash and that's it. It was their way or the highway.....I took the highway home, cash in hand
Wow, that sounds like a scam and a half to me. I think you definitely made the right decision. I know how you feel, though, it took me almost 2 years to find a Chevelle that I was happy with, and I had to walk away from several cars, each of which I thought was "the one". You will find what you are looking for, it just may take a little longer than you would like.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Another thing, always double check the title to match the vin on the car!

Call back in a few days and offer the additional $224 to get the title in their name with no leins! I bet they will also be mad about that deal also.

You made the right move, when I sell a car I am up front and willing to allow a day or so for the buyer to think about it. It has always worked out for me giving time.

-Bobby-

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would have probably probed them a bit deeper and said something like

I drove all the way out here, you indicated that the car had a clean title, this is not a clean title. at this point, the price I am willing to pay with sketchy paperwork and back dues to dmv is $4500. If they say ok, then you really should run. Most people would say, your nuts. g'day

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
there are always Chevelles available. Really nice ones can be had for not much more.
there is a really slick 67 around here, factory yellow, 396 4 speed for $14K. You can't build one for that easily.

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
Right decision. If they are legit, and especially if they have a recent death, they should be very familiar with dealing with estate assets. It is not difficult at all.

I have done both sides of that issue. I bought my Chevelle contingent on the owner getting a clear title in his name, from a state that did not require one for that age vehicle, to transfer to me, since I live in a state that requires titles, period. (oh, the period has to be seperately titled, also)

Sellers prob. In some states the seller may be charged for trying to sell without a clear title. Any buyer will have the same prob, unless they go to a non title state for registration. Buy they will still have trouble selling to a title state.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Bruce (the shark) from Nemo: "...Swim away swim away!

Right call.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
" Do you want it or not, a guy wants to give us $8k tomorrow."

At that point you'd love to say- "Then why would you take $7400 from me today? What are you, some kind of idiot?"

1 - 20 of 44 Posts