Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the old Delco voltage reg. with the new Wells VR 715 (equiv.) and my generator light stays on (very bright). I also have a DieHard Security battery that has a built in power save function that disables the battery if it senses a drain. Well it put it into power save mode. Is this new regulator bad? I put the old unit on and everything works great.

I guess "If it ain't broke ..." applies here.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds as though you have a bad one. I have a Wells unit on my 70 for about two years now and it works fine. When you put the new one on, disconnect the battery first, just to be safe. This is a solid state unit and any surge or momentary short will destroy it in an instant.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
553,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jerry's right, new one on me. Did you install the ground strap on the Wells unit when you put it in there? Almost sounds like it's missing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ground strap? Do I have to supply this? It did not come with one in the box. I only connected the 4 wire plug (keyed for one way fit) and the wire that goes to a small condenser looking thingy. Should I return the unit for an exchange part? Thanks.

- Tim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Unit does not come with one. All V/R I have changed out have a small ground strap attached to them that goes to the frame. Should be a hole in the unit to attach a strap.

Jerry, if you are still out there, it's early for me. Offhand, I don't see how the S/S circuit can properly work without the V- reference. Think the strap is needed. Good thing for me to double check with Wells. Think they are in Wisconsin. Maybe I'll learn something.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
John,
The Wells unit I have in my car is bolted directly to the radiator support by it's mounting tabs. There aren't any insulating grommets in the mounting holes to interfere with grounding the unit once it's mounted in place. I had placed a "star" lock washer under each mounting bolt to ensure a good connection which wouldn't become loose under vibration. As I said, it's been in there now for about two years with no problems.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
553,000+ miles on car.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My 64 is floating on the wellnuts (no pun) but I have a solid ground strap to the frame. Wells' site is down today. Maybe the Net guys are playing. I'll try them later this weekend. As many of these that TC members buy, I'm sure I get one of their engineers to answer some questions.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
John,
The Wells unit I have didn't have any grommets in the mounting holes when I bought it. Didn't give it a second thought because, technically, the frame should be grounded due to the solid state circuitry needing a negative reference.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
553,000+ miles on car.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jerry
The insulating wellnuts on my 64 were part of a restore I did. Wells' site is still not up. If they are not up tomorrow, I'll pound their number on Monday. Find out what I can from their Engineering group.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Jerry
The insulating wellnuts on my 64 were part of a restore I did. Wells' site is still not up. If they are not up tomorrow, I'll pound their number on Monday. Find out what I can from their Engineering group.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did contact the Wells Manufacturing Company. Talked to Jim in Technical. The VR715 does need to be grounded to work. Hard screw it to the frame or use a ground strap. Their email address is [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts