Team Chevelle banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

Registered
PICTURES? of what my 10 second 307? no i dont have any pictures of that motor but i have plenty of the superstock camaro it was in if that would help with your doubt ! and the reason guys bored out 283s was to make them bigger motors PERIOD! you guys crack me up with these 302 chevy storys! 1969 Z-28s were high 14 second cars from the factory! if i put a 780 holley,a factory chevy aluminum intake,3.73 gears, dome pistons, a 4 speed, a windage tray with a trap door oil pan, and a solid lifter Duntav cam in this 307 i would be willing to bet this car would be a mid to low 13 car with the street tires and closed exhaust! it was not the 4" bore that made a 302 a great motor it was all the things i just listed above! look i never said the 307 was anything special and my sons 307 is not a race motor its his daily driver but i think its funny and kinda ignorant how some people base their hatred for a 307 on the 190hp version! remember this 307 ran 14.40 first time to the track through stock exhaust,on hard radial street tires,with an air cleaner in place on top of a stock qjet on a cast iron intake manifold,with 3.55 gears in a daily driver street car,not to mention this tiny motor is a 80,000 mile cast piston junk short block with NO machine work! maybe you and the other 307 haters should read this article to put the automatic 307 car going 14.40 on a hard radial cooper tire through closed exhaust with 2.00+ 60' time into perspective ! i would totally enjoy making you eat your words and doubts about how a 307 would run as good as any other sbc (short of the lack of cubic inches) but i have other projects and am not gonna waste any more effort or time in it. Vintage Dragstrip Test of Iconic 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 (motortrend.com) here is the factory z28 test artical and this is my car that had my 10 second john Guilus 307 in it, it ran SS/CS 10.29 @129.50 with a power glide trans View attachment 749640
Yeah yeah John Gulius. You expect us to believe he is one of the best Super Stock engine builders?? 馃榿

next will be Val Hedworth had some of the best class quadrajets!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Fred, I think its both awesome and impressive that your son ran a best of [email protected] mph with that little 'ole 307 he built.
How cool is that!!
I have seen people running that ET and MPH with a pretty much stock 396 w/manifolds at the drag strip!
And that little 'ole 307 and Mustang are in street trim..closed exhaust and street tires
Chris gets !t! ;)

Registered
Dump the P/G for that turbo 350 and it will improve the ET a bunch. I should find my old Q-jet that I raced with and do it up for you to try. Have not messed with one in years but I have a ton of parts for the old Q-jets.

Registered
Think some of us forget about being that strapped at that age, wanting to go fast but the pockets are turned inside out.
His times are about on par wtih a decent running C4, not bad considering the car is a lot heavier!
Keep on with the project....soon he will be ready for the 400. Better hes getting his hands dirty than poisoning his brain on social media.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Dump the P/G for that turbo 350 and it will improve the ET a bunch. I should find my old Q-jet that I raced with and do it up for you to try. Have not messed with one in years but I have a ton of parts for the old Q-jets.
i had literally 100 METERING RODS at one point but when i moved my shop some loosers broke into my truck and stole a few items and the box with all my qjet stuff was one of them! many years of collecting jets and rods from every qjet i got my hands on as a kid GONE and the dirtbags probably threw them away! and yes the t350 is in the works, i broke a bellhousing on our t350 but im in the process of putting everything in a good case we just scored! the 283 he had in the camaro was 13.50 best with the glide and 13.29 with the t350 (same converter both transmissions)

Premium Member
thanks for helping with the post move! :)
You're welcome. (y)

i had literally 100 METERING RODS at one point but when i moved my shop some loosers broke into my truck and stole a few items and the box with all my qjet stuff was one of them! many years of collecting jets and rods from every qjet i got my hands on as a kid GONE and the dirtbags probably threw them away! and yes the t350 is in the works, i broke a bellhousing on our t350 but im in the process of putting everything in a good case we just scored! the 283 he had in the camaro was 13.50 best with the glide and 13.29 with the t350 (same converter both transmissions)
Man, I hear you on the "dirtbags"!!!

Seems like your QJet is working pretty well! Wondering if you can share any specifics about the carb, like model #, jets, rods and any other mods? I'm not sure if you've already shared this and I missed it possibly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You're welcome. (y)

Seems like your QJet is working pretty well! Wondering if you can share any specifics about the carb, like model #, jets, rods and any other mods? I'm not sure if you've already shared this and I missed it possibly.
nothing special on this one! its a 1985 mercruser marine 305 chevy carb,all i did was put a rebuild kit in and bolt it on! it had pretty lean secondary rods so i left alone because it was in the 90s and humid and i figure the little 307 is over carbed to start with. dont know the number off hand but ill post it tomorrow because im gonna take his car to the track this weekend and see if we can lower that 14.40 et some! id really like to get it in the 13s before we put the 400 in just to show the 307 haters that an 80,000 mile stock piston short block with a .450 lift cam can go 13s in basic street trim!

Registered
You're welcome. (y)

Man, I hear you on the "dirtbags"!!!

I can share a Q-jet story with you. Back in the mid-80's I ran a 350 in my street car with what I thought was a tricked out Q-jet. I had 39B metering rods and 72 jets in the pri side and a D hanger with some little needle type rods from a turbo T/A which I thought were the hot ticket at that time. I went out and raced a buddy with his AMX and he beat me by 3 car lengths and then another buddies Camaro and got beat by 4 cars. Perplexed by this I decided to change out the sec rod 1st to a DR rod and am I glad I did, I re-ran the AMX and trounced his car pretty bad, but I only beat that Camaro by 1/2 car lengths. We ran 6 times that night and I got him all 6 times. After we were done I asked what he changed? he said he put a bigger cam in his car, then he asked what I changed as he was quite surprised how I picked up on him. When I told him I changed the sec rods he called BS but I still had the old ones in the car with me so I changed them out and we re-raced and I lost by 4 cars. Amazing what happens when you get the jetting right on a good Q-jet. The DR rods I have found are the best all around sec rod out there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I can share a Q-jet story with you. Back in the mid-80's I ran a 350 in my street car with what I thought was a tricked out Q-jet. I had 39B metering rods and 72 jets in the pri side and a D hanger with some little needle type rods from a turbo T/A which I thought were the hot ticket at that time. I went out and raced a buddy with his AMX and he beat me by 3 car lengths and then another buddies Camaro and got beat by 4 cars. Perplexed by this I decided to change out the sec rod 1st to a DR rod and am I glad I did, I re-ran the AMX and trounced his car pretty bad, but I only beat that Camaro by 1/2 car lengths. We ran 6 times that night and I got him all 6 times. After we were done I asked what he changed? he said he put a bigger cam in his car, then he asked what I changed as he was quite surprised how I picked up on him. When I told him I changed the sec rods he called BS but I still had the old ones in the car with me so I changed them out and we re-raced and I lost by 4 cars. Amazing what happens when you get the jetting right on a good Q-jet. The DR rods I have found are the best all around sec rod out there.
my 350/295 liked CJ rods i believe they were .33 ? but yeah agreed a good tuned qjet runs pretty good! still my favorite carbs! PS i just picked up a $5 1980s 350 truck qjet :) im gonna go through it and try out on the peanut port 454 when i get time to get back on that project!

Premium Member
Whoops, I lost track of which build of yours this was but still cool info that a near basic QJet rebuild can still function well. I was initially asking about the carb on the peanut port engine. Maybe you can post that info in the 11.69 thread. ...or maybe that's post #51 above.

Premium Member
Thanks, that's a cool example of the benefits of experimenting..

Registered
My buddy and I used to have good luck with CH rods. One of our tech school instructors turned us onto them, He called them "Charlie Hustles" after Pete Rose.

Registered
Wish I knew more about Qjets, wouldnt mind running one.
Never owned an EFI car til the late 90s..my DD had Holleys or Qjets.
I never ever...had to touch my Qjet cars. Choke worked, turn the key, 1/2 pump and I was on my wya.
Super reliable, very reponsive...and that deep secondary sound, who couldnt like that?!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Wish I knew more about Qjets, wouldnt mind running one.
Never owned an EFI car til the late 90s..my DD had Holleys or Qjets.
I never ever...had to touch my Qjet cars. Choke worked, turn the key, 1/2 pump and I was on my wya.
Super reliable, very reponsive...and that deep secondary sound, who couldnt like that?!
the thing i like about qjets is rebuild it today and race it for years and the only thing you do from there is remove one screw to change secondary metering rods when there is a huge weather swing! on my 9000 rpm 312 SS/CS Camaro i was having an issue with an occasional bog where it would fall on its face 100' ft out after checking all the basic stuff and found nothing i did a burnout and came out of the water at higher then usuall rpm and it happened and i noticed the hood scoop was collapsed so i removed the hood and threw the little air pan in the trunk and the problem was gone! (motor was sucking all the air out of the little sealed hood scoop when not moving at any speeds) anyway during the diagnosing i bolted my qjet and adapter from my 350/295 to see if my 750 dp holley was the problem and it did the same thing but this only happened once in a while so i got to make a couple of good runs with the devinchi 750 holley comp eliminator carb and my basic rebuilt qjet and the holley was a tenth and a little over 1 mph faster :unsure: needless to say i have run qjets on everything i race since then!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Whoops, I lost track of which build of yours this was but still cool info that a near basic QJet rebuild can still function well. I was initially asking about the carb on the peanut port engine. Maybe you can post that info in the 11.69 thread. ...or maybe that's post #51 above.
no worries! the 307 in my sons car is a 305 (chevy) mercruser carb from the mid 80s ,the qjet on my peanut port 454 is a 1969 or 1970 350 chevy carb basically stock just rebuilt and re jetted , honestly !most qjets are basically the same 750s except v6 Buicks and those 305 boat carbs they limit the secondary air flap from opening all the way and are missing the emulsion tubs for secondary's, so they are less then 750 cfm and of course the sd455 and Buick 455 are 800 and there are a few 800s on later 400 chevy and some 454s

Registered
Yeah yeah John Gulius. You expect us to believe he is one of the best Super Stock engine builders?? 馃榿

next will be Val Hedworth had some of the best class quadrajets!!!!
Don't laugh, Val was one of the guru's of the Q-jet's back in his day. Even now his tricks are well known. My buddy just paid a ton of bucks to have Jason Line to his Q-jet for him and his BBC makes some big power with it.

Premium Member
no worries! the 307 in my sons car is a 305 (chevy) mercuser carb from the mid 80s ,the qjet on my peanut port 454 is a 1969 or 1970 350 chevy carb basically stock just rebuilt and re jetted , honestly !most qjets are basically the same 750s except v6 Buicks and those 305 boat carbs they limit the secondary air flap from opening all the way and are missing the emulsion tubs for secondary's, so they are less then 750 cfm and of course the sd455 and Buick 455 are 800 and there are a few 800s on later 400 chevy and some 454s
Thanks for that info.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Speaking of qjets ! Gonna bring my stash a metering rods, hangers and a timing light to the track today and see if i better the 14.40 on the kids 307!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts