Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like the title says he ran the 307 last friday! We originally build this welfare 307 as Freddy's first motor build and to learn basic bracket race fundimentals , but before it was finished we acquired the 283 and the 307 was put on the back burner, then we built the peanut Port 454 and again the 307 was put away on the back burner! 馃ぃ But because this was the first motor he ever built he still wanted to use it so we put it in his daily driver 1983 notchback mustang! It's a 1970 307 80,000 mile short block with 416 305 heads, Summit .450 lift 106lsa hft cam and lifters, tin shim head gaskets, 350/300 cast iron intake , a MerCruiser qjet off a 305, 1.5" shorty block hugger headers, 2.5" complete exhaust , 3.55 posi and 275-60-15 cooper cobras. First time (actually only time to the track) best of 4 runs was [email protected] mph closed headers and air filter in place, he shifted at 5200 ,this car has a powerglide and a summit 3200 stall converter! We will eventually put a turbo 350 that should make it a little nicer for street driving! So with drag radials and some 3.73s and the t350 and open headers i would say this would be a solid 13 second car! Side note i drove his tbird and we met in the final and he had a 4.16 and got me! 馃榿
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Font Material property Monochrome Number Parallel

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Registered
A 66, 4 67's, a 69 w/68 dog house, and a couple 70's.
Awesome, the 307 should get more love than it does. Just a little misunderstood engine due to being just a two barrel emissions engine plagued by soft camshafts.

They wake up pretty well with the usual porting, compression, cam and four barrel. Good to see someone else that likes them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Awesome, the 307 should get more love than it does. Just a little misunderstood engine due to being just a two barrel emissions engine plagued by soft camshafts.

They wake up pretty well with the usual porting, compression, cam and four barrel. Good to see someone else that likes them.
People hate 307s because chevrolet never offerd one with all the same parts as a 302 or an LT1 if they had people would not hate them like they do! Put that tiny carb,tiny intake runners and those terrible heads and lame cam with flat top pistons on the holy grail dz 302 and i bet the larger stroke 307 would be faster!

Premium Member
My '69 Chevelle came with a 307 and I personally, think the motor is.....absolutely LAME.
While this build demonstrates the fact that someone can learn a lot if a 307 is his/her first build......the 307 can NOT escape this cold, hard fact:
If you do the same thing to a 350, you will get a much better motor.
It will likely cost less as well......and may even come with a post 1986 roller block.
Nice build, cool story....but there is no reason to put lipstick on this pig.....IMHO.
It's a Free Country....and all are free to disagree with me. :)

Registered
I have to laugh at car shows when I hear people scoff at a Ford (or ANY other make) with a Chevy engine, especially hot rods.
I just smile and say something like "If the (Ford) engine was better, people would be putting those in everything..."

Preaching to the choir, but...
Dollar per HP/TQ is unmatched.
Before, the SBC was the "standard" engine.
Now, LS's are taking over.
Now it's dollars per HP/TQ/MPG/ease-of-installation...

Edit:
I just ran across this:

Registered
Exactly my point of it being a lame emissions engine. And yes it is hampered by the small bore to stroke. If built as a stroker 283 though, it will wind up tight. But being a small block Chevy it responds well to being hopped up.

Also it's good to drag stuff out of a junk pile and build something. I have a 283 with HO 305 heads in my 4x4 truck that runs great, and 4.10s help. I put that thing together for $140 plus some good used stuff.

If building something for big power, I'd go the 400 block 350 crank 377. Next would be a 383, then the 327 would have a bore and stroke ratio. Then again a short rod 400 is pretty hard to beat.... It never ends 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My '69 Chevelle came with a 307 and I personally, think the motor is.....absolutely LAME.
While this build demonstrates the fact that someone can learn a lot if a 307 is his/her first build......the 307 can NOT escape this cold, hard fact:
If you do the same thing to a 350, you will get a much better motor.
It will likely cost less as well......and may even come with a post 1986 roller block.
Nice build, cool story....but there is no reason to put lipstick on this pig.....IMHO.
It's a Free Country....and all are free to disagree with me. :)
totally agree but! we had a great running 307 and no 350 at the time ! if he screwed something up and it blew up oh well no big loss! but the plan is to take the cam, heads, carb, intake,double roller chain,new oil pump, pickup and new oil pan and put it on a 71 350 that i recently acquired, you would have really lost your mind when we built a 283 for his first motor ( it ran 13.20s) , you realize that all small block chevys run pretty much the same when they have the same mods right? basically the only thing that changes that equation is cubic inches! this is why i try not to build small motors.

Registered
I'm a little partial to 307's cause it was also my first small block I messed with in a free, yes free, 1970 Malibu. Circa 1984.

Cam, lifters, porting, and an intake with a Holley woke it up.

One of my next projects is a very complete 307 70 Malibu, so thinking of beefing it up with HO 305 heads, and yet it will have the born with block at least. Interesting car, has TH350, disc brakes and console buckets. Green, all green. Would be a crime to not keep it original.

Or, I'm not big on clones, tributes, or whatever, but it would make a nice Malibu 400 build. Decisions, decisions.

Registered
People hate 307s because chevrolet never offerd one with all the same parts as a 302 or an LT1 if they had people would not hate them like they do! Put that tiny carb,tiny intake runners and those terrible heads and lame cam with flat top pistons on the holy grail dz 302 and i bet the larger stroke 307 would be faster!
Sorry to rain on your parade but 307 engines are boat anchors compared to the 4" bore 302's, 327's, and 350's. Any decent of the aforementioned engines would eat that 307 alive and come back for seconds. IMO, they were the lamest well - known Chevy V8, save for the even lamer 262 and 265 engines. JMO of course. That being said, congrats on some impressive times with what you're running with.

Premium Member
Congrats on you and your Sons great fun at the bracket drags I'm glad at least one of you brought the trophy home. (y)
But when GM was up against the wall with the Feds Emissions sniffers going after them it was that small bore 307 (&later 305s) that got them out of trouble. Where as the 307 Olds engine was considered a "dirty" engine (4 inch bore) and if you sat in line too long at a NJ inspection station back in the late 80's & 90's the Olds 307 would fail.They would then allow a 1 minute 2000 rpm cleanup rev and if you failed again well yoou got 45 days to fix it.
That's why Chevy never offered a Hi-Po 307 all the R&D was spent on getting Chevy ready for the 70's and 80's emission regs,they knew the Emissions monster was coming.

Registered
Sorry to rain on your parade but 307 engines are boat anchors compared to the 4" bore 302's, 327's, and 350's. Any decent of the aforementioned engines would eat that 307 alive and come back for seconds. IMO, they were the lamest well - known Chevy V8, save for the even lamer 262 and 265 engines. JMO of course. That being said, congrats on some impressive times with what you're running with.
Well, if you want to use that line of thought, lets just throw any non-400 small block in the dumpster as well as all 396 and 427 big blocks. My first engine was a 68' 307 (in a 69 C10) and it would totally kick the ass of most of those emission riddled 350's that were everywhere when I came of age in the mid 80's. I would take a 307 over ANY 305 ever built, and the ONLY thing that makes a 302 special is Chevy dumped every HP part in the catalog in it. All things being equal, for street driving, I'd rather have the long stroke 307. In fact, I bet I could build a 307 that would eat a stock 302 light to light.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok could you explain what makes a 307 so bad? ( and i really hope you try to explane it) is it the tiny 283 size 2bbl? or maybe the 1.72 intake valves? or the .390 lift cam ? or the smaller then normal intake runners on a 307 manifold? or maybe the 8.5 to 1 compression they had? lets say chevrolet offered a 307 with 11 to 1 compression,, a duntov solid lifter cam,1.94 valves in small chamber good flowing heads,a winters intake a holley carb? would it still be slob? ill answer it for you and the answer is NO it would not ! it would run like every other small block chevy less the cubic inches! my 17 year olds 307 is not a race engine by any means, but if you put race heads,race rods and pistons and a race roller cam it would be just as powerful as a 302! and actually a better combo for a race car with an auto then a 302 with identical mods! this is a fact! if you know anything about the old class Modified eliminator it was lbs per cubic inches like comp eliminator C/EA cars had automatic transmissions and used to run 312 small blocks! do you know what a 312 is ? yeah i didnt think so its a .30 over 307! i actually bought one off a comp eliminator racer and put it in my all steel 3250# 68 camaro and it went [email protected] mph with iron chevy heads and a 750 dp holley with a powerglide trans! and yes it was a 307 2 bolt main block!! do you base a 327 off the 210 hp 2 bbl version? of course not! you base it off the 365-horse version, why do you think modified eliminator racers used 283s 302s and 307 ? because the little motors made more HP per cubic inch then the big motors and the cars had to carry less weight! PROVE ME WRONG!

Registered
when I didn't have a 350 core laying around and I had a 307. I just bored it 60 over, had 1.94 valves installed in the 185 casting heads, performer cam, intake and small headers, great running motor. ended up in my 77 suburban when the 350 finally burnt a valve. jim

Reactions: Looks stock

Premium Member
Well, if you want to use that line of thought, lets just throw any non-400 small block in the dumpster as well as all 396 and 427 big blocks. My first engine was a 68' 307 (in a 69 C10) and it would totally kick the ass of most of those emission riddled 350's that were everywhere when I came of age in the mid 80's. I would take a 307 over ANY 305 ever built, and the ONLY thing that makes a 302 special is Chevy dumped every HP part in the catalog in it. All things being equal, for street driving, I'd rather have the long stroke 307. In fact, I bet I could build a 307 that would eat a stock 302 light to light.
That's the funniest joke I ever heard. :p The 307 was designed for fuel economy and low emissions while the 302 was designed as a Hi Perf engine so the Chevy racers could compete in SCCA's Trans Am series that had a 5 litre engine limit no matter what the design. Incidentally they won the series a couple of times too.Do you really think they could have won any of the trans Am road races with a 307 ?
In the early 70's we would see a beat up Chevy smoking like a 3 pack a day guy and me and my pals would bet whether it was a 307 or a 327 9 out of 10 times the smoker was a 307.Or the cam would have about 3 or 4 flattened lobes,time wasn't kind to those engines.
The 305 got all the design improvements they learned on the 307 but the only problem was the emissions specs had gotten stricter and CAFE standards had higher MPG's to meet.

Reactions: Flipper
1 - 20 of 73 Posts