Chevelles.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
I have mixed feelings on the rat-rod fad... I'm not into it at all, and genuinely HATE the build style of making something look uglier, rustier, and worse condition on purpose. Also, the whole skulls and spider webs thing, and general style of tack welding junk to your car is hideous to me.

On the other hand, that segment of the hobby has made hotrodding affordable to many people, and there have been MANY cars saved that the rest of us would have otherwise passed over as too rough or too ugly to build.

It's "art" I guess, but looks like the "artist" was on an acid trip to me.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts
in a previous career we had guys referred to as "wood butchers". I'd call him a metal butcher but it's insult to real butchers everywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Mt 64 C10 truck is a little rough. In the old truck world, "rough" equals "patina." I can't tell you guys how many people have stopped me, complimented me on the "patina" and said "don't change a thing."

I just don't have that gene, I guess. Where they see "patina" all I see is rust, and rust never sleeps. When I get around to it, the patina/rust is going to get traded in for some driver-quality paint & body work :)

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
problem with nice shiny paint is its gotten so expensive, it's like these guys think they're painting the Mona lisa. You dump that kind of money into a paint job, you worry about parking your car when you go get groceries, or run i to home depot. Pull into home depot with a rattle canned painted 70 chevelle, there is no worry. jim

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had a friend back in the 70's that had a 59 setup for mud drags....it was different that's for sure. :)
I'm not much for rat-rods but what ever floats ur boat.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
It's not a bad build with the exception of the blower stuck through the hood but it's a custom and anyone's custom is their interpretation of what they want to build.To me it looks like he probably had a rusted up POS and started cutting away whatever was rusted through and used the rest to build what we see here.
:cool: To each his own...er...run what you brung...err.....use whatever's not crumbling .... :clonk:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts