Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with welding a 60s-70s factory aluminum bellhousing? I have a small crack to repair. This will be used in a daily driver and not for any high performance application. The crack appears to have been caused by ignorant installation rather than clutch damage. There is no damage other then a hairline crack. The crack probably was caused by tightening up the bolts over unclean engine dowel pin and trying to pull it down to the engine block. It was cleverly "covered up" by the weasel that ripped me off at a recent swapmeet. What I need to determine is the grade of aluminum that the bellhosing is made of. I know the procedures for welding aluminum but need to identify the material grade to determine the proper filler rod to buy and whether it requires heat treat. The welding method will be TIG. Thanks ZK

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Welding Cracked Factory Bell housing

5356 is the rod I use when repairing the older cast bell housing's

Most welding shops that repair aluminum should be able to handle a repair such as yours with in an hours worth of labor If, it is properly degrease and cleaned.

Be careful though! Ask to see some of there work before you hand over a fairly rare part. Shops that are not set up to weld cast, can and will do more harm then good, resulting in a not to pleasant looking repair that is structurally not sound.

Aluminum and Magnesium is what I specialize in. Over the years I have fixed hundreds of these. your repair is very minor! Don't let a welding shop take advantage of you just because it is aluminum. If a welding shop gives you an inflated labor rate, or claims it will take hours to repair a simple crack, chances are they are using your piece as a ginniepig to learn on and making you pay for their ignorance..

I can be reached at my welding shop to answer any questions you may still have. Jimmy

Judd Performance welding
402-740-8685

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Welding Cracked Factory Bell housing

Thanks for the input. I'll stop and pick up a few rods from the local shop I deal with next week after work one night on the way home. Saving gas! ZK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.