Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it is possible to mig weld, with a spool gun, LS cast factory stock aluminum valve covers and valley cover. I have a plan but don't know if it will work, I also have a couple of junker valve covers I could try, but was curious before I change the welder over for the spool gun,

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tried the spool gun on cast and blew holes in it and the contaminates in the cast popped. The only way I was able to weld cast was with a tig. I ruined a cast oil pan for my 8.1 to learn that. Had much success with the tig. Just need to be super clean.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Spool guns for aluminum are out of date technology. Everything now is welded with either TIG or Pulsed MIG.

Some newer cars have aluminum castings welded to aluminum extrusions. It depends on what grade the cast is as to how weldable it is. Then you have to get the right wire. One problem welding valve covers is they have to be perfectly clean on both sides, as the weld process will pull any impurities into the weld from the back side.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Even with TIG welding castings can be difficult. Many castings (especially high pressure die castings) contain a lot of trapped gas. It takes patience to let the gas bubble out of the casting before adding the filler.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
it will weld fine if its clean. Aluminum is like a sponge and all that oil carbon another impurities get sucked in and as soon as you try to weld it they will come out period Welding Supply places will sell an acid that's used to clean aluminum that works pretty well. It's easier to boil out the impurities with the TIG torch and keep cleaning untill it welds

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had to tig a syrocast aluminum intake and what I had to do was SS wire brush, acetone scrub, run torch along where the weld was going to go to bring impurities up to top of puttle. SS wire brush again, acetone, clean SS wire brush then weld in short passes pulsing the petal. I was also able to weld clean 6061 to the cast this way

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input fellas ! Might have to go another route, thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts