Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I check the oil in my 402 in the morning, its right at full level. I then wipe the stick and check it again instantly and it reads one quart low! This ever happen to anyone, its got me stumped.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Happens to me all the time, but mine shows high until I wipe it off, then it's back to normal. I think the oil is held in the tube until pulling the dipstick out releases it, much like the famed ketchup bottle phenomenon.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you push it in and then pull it right back out? If I do this on mine, it also shows low. If I wait a minute or so, it's back to normal. I am using a cheap chrome dipstick, so I thought that when I push it in, air is forcing the oil level down. If you wait, the air will bleed off and it will show normal. Just a theory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I pushed it in and pulled it out immediately and it was a quart low. Could the oil be “climbing” up the dipstick? The forced air theory sounds pretty good to me. It never did this until I switched to mobil 1 (always used conventional oil before this). I can live with this, I just don't know which is right, 1qt low or full.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Hmmm - I use Mobil 1 too. I don't agree with the forced air theory, because mine will do it after sitting for quite a while (days, even). I think the oil goes up the tube a bit when running, then gets stuck up there until the dipstick is moved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xtreme, I don't think it goes up the tube when its running, because I've checked it like 10 mins. after a cruise, which allows enough time for all oil to drainback to pan, and its low at that point. Its not until like the next day that it reads full again.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Now you've really got me wondering, I didn't bother to check right after running, it's always before I drive it again.

Maybe the heat is making it wick up the tube for some reason? Maybe we should try checking it twice while it's cold, and see if it changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.