Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If it were me, and given the pictures and angles you posted - I would still swap em and see what happens. Doesn't take long. :)

QA1 sent me schematic diagrams of the arms, that included measurements from various reference points. Basically the front and rear arms are .5” difference in length and .3” difference in height. There are angle differences too. I measured mine and they match the diagrams. Now what, haha. I’ll get it aligned again and if that doesn’t work, this winter I’ll strip the whole front end down and start from scratch. The bushings in the LCA’s look shot anyway. That will give me a chance to do tubular lowers, drop spindles and new shocks. More $$...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
They look to me to be backwards too.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Here’s some photos of the driver’s side upper control arm. Some of the guys over on the pro-touring forum say they’re mounted on the wrong side, but QA1 tech doesn’t think so. Any opinion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is UMI, but the geometry should be close.
here's both pictures in the same post to make it easier to look at one vs the other.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I bring no good advice or knowledge, other than to ask a question.....does the steering return to center? My alignment shop is not top notch (i didnt know this before hand), when they first did my alignment, they set it back to factory specs, and it really didnt return much. When i went back with numbers i got from people here, return to center improved, and is almost 100%, but they could only get +2 degrees with factory control arms.

The steering box has a lot to do with return. I never realized this until I installed this latest box from Lee. Its a 14:1 with a 30 pound valve. It returns like a manual even with only 1 degree of positive caster.
I think most power boxes over assist and the tech from Lee I was talking to agrees. Lee is owned by new people but they still have many of the old timers working there. That said these new owners are making some changes to the box and the changes are great!! This new Lee box is a dream. It does everything well. It gives my 69 el camino such a nice feel, kind of like a real nimble go cart..
I had a 12:1 I bought from Lee years ago and this one too over assisted.. I needed 6 degrees or more positive caster to get the steering wheel to return fast.. When you think of it, cars with manual boxes only have one or two degrees caster and they return fast..

21 - 24 of 24 Posts