Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of ways to reduce the weight of a 66 chevelle.
I need it to weight 2900-3000 pounds. I can use a fiberglass hood, remove aircondition and heating equipment, and the seats. Now the question is where can i get the rest of weight off. all suggestions are welcome. Also can anyone give me some weights of their 66 chevelles
thanks
todd r

·
Registered
514 Posts
is it going to be a track only car?
If so the inner door supports and watch out some of the fiberglass hoods are heavier than stock

try a new light weight started and a mini alternator that will probably help also if you have a cast water pump you might want an aluminum one for a quich pound or 2, And check weight on some of the aftermarket rims someof them are heavier than you think. If you didnt already you could take out the power streering to if it doesn't mean that much to you, these are just a couple of things and im sure there are alot of other ways to I'm sure someone else will have a better idea than me…

just be careful the weight and structures are there for a reason take them out and you might have to compensate with a better suspension or some other type of support…

·
Registered
514 Posts
you could also go as far as uoppper and lower tubular A arms that should cost a ton of cash but at least you can put in b body spindles and loose another couple of pounds…

·
Registered
514 Posts
the fiberglass fenders are good but you said you can use a fiberglass hood what class are ou running? or is this for fun?

·
Registered
214 Posts
manual steering and drums are lighter than disks(you can even score aluminum drums from some a bodies). Lexan instead of glass. Aluminum everything that you gota keep like radiator heads and maybe block. Go on a diet yourself
Fiber glass front clip. and front bumper. Some weight reduction might hurt et like lightening the car with a rear glass bumper and decklid might hurt traction. What are your goals for this car?

------------------
Philip Blackburn
Primer black 69 velle (far from done)
my motors done...
454-60 over
iron merlin rec port heads
Compcams promagnum rockers roller cam
.646int.653exst 280/286 w/110separation
10.25 compression
RPM airgap eagal rods
ARP bolts and studs
will run an auto
ACES # 04287

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
While I don't know if you qualify, and I mean no disrespect if you do, but many racers need to loose some of their own weight as well.

This past weekend I was at an event and the number of overweight people running was huge (pun intended). The worst example of wasted weight was this guy on a drag bike who had to weight 250-275 lbs. And this wasn't muscle. In his leathers, he looked like the cow that supplied them. He also lost by less than a tenth. While I'm no expert, I'd assume that 100 lbs of ballast on a bike has a serious effect.

Again, I mean no disrespect to people who are large, but in a number of cases, this is a place to loose weight, and not only improve your times, but your health as well.

It's also cheaper than glass hoods & lexan windows

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Some of the ideas are useful while others are not allowed by the rules. That is my mistake I should have put the class i am going to run. I am going to run Top Stock in IHRA. Weight has to be 3300+ pounds but I want it down to 3000 so i can place the difference where it will best serve me.

The fiberglass hood has a to be a factory look a like and there isn't much I can cut off. So i was wondering if there were some really detailed type stuff.

thanks again
todd r

·
Registered
214 Posts
guessing from the name 427 its a rat. not familiar with the rules.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the engine is now a 427 390hp motor out of a corvette but for top stock i'll be running a 502 or 396/375. I am afraid the weight for the 396 will not allow me be to competitive due to the limited amount of weight placement I'll have after the diets. The car will be weighed tonight. If i can get 200-300 pounds below the 3300 pound requirement i'll most likely go with the 396. I want the 396 because those are the motors that came in the cars, But winning is more important.

I will give the weight of the car and front to rear percentages and a better description of the car tomorrow if anyone is interested.

thanks
todd r

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3355 pounds
1426 on the rear

any idea how much the bumpers weigh. And the heating unit in the firewall.

thanks
todd

·
Registered
974 Posts
66chevelless427:
It's good to see your into the rule book!
A friend of mine is running 10-teens @ 136mph in the (NHRA) "Real Street" class. He has a fiberglass bumper that weights next to nothing. I don't know the rules of your class, but do they allow fiberglass fenders and/or minus the inners?

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are interested the rules are located on IHRA.com under top stock. No I can not have fiberglass bumpers. The only thing i can do with fiberglass ( except if it is original) is the hood and it has to be original style.

How much for the nitric acid haha. There are afew things im going to try and see what i can do. When i read the rule book i look for what i cant do. anything not mentioned means i can haha.

todd r

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Byfield:
While I don't know if you qualify, and I mean no disrespect if you do, but many racers need to loose some of their own weight as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Byfield-that's why I don't ride my 10 speed any more-looks like a circus bear on a unicycle

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Sid Coleman (edited 09-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sid Coleman (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
lol sid, that was some funny stuff.

66chevelle. if you've got some money to spend i can think of quite a few ways to cut weight. i read about the rules and 3300 lbs required, but heres some good ways to cut weight.
#1 only use the amount of gas you need. gas sloshes around in the tank and the less the better. if you need some rear weight keep the spare tire, its above the axle and doesnt shift.
#2 plastic fuel cell with a baffel type peice to keep the fuel from sloshing.
#3 lexan windows (i think this was stated above) also if rules permit couldnt you get rid of everything in the door except the locks, and use side window nets.
#4 this ones pricey, but how about a carbon fiber body and bumpers? (i dont think the rules will alow, i dont like rules)
#5 clean the car good, all the extra grease and dirt packed into everywhere when the car inst cleaned (expecially the suspension) really adds up to a few pounds.
#6 aluminum everything (i think this was also stated above)
#7 people who run top fuel dragsters cut down the bolts to only what they need, but thats really extreme.
again, these are just all my ideas, whether they fallow the rules or not, just suggesting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
oh btw jungle jimmy, i checked out that site, pretty cool camaro stuff, i like there l-88 hood, it looks cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.