Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

weight of 67 and other questions?

11K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  67Sedan2dr 
#1 ·
I am going to be looking at a 67 this weekend that has a 350 engine, 400 trans and a 10 bolt rear. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of the weight of this car? What should I look at for trouble spots on this year car. the owner says it has no rust, but i am going to take a magnet with me (for bondo) and also check the floors and frame. So what else do you guys thinkI should look for?
Thanks
Tom

#4 ·
my 67 malibu weighs 3560 with a full tank of gas and me in it, but it also has alot of aluminum parts on it. A stock 67 should weigh about 3650 or so.
The biggest trouble spot concerning rust i found on mine was the rear window. supposedly this was a defect, they couldnt drain right and it leaked into the trunk and under the chrome window molding. Mine was rusted to hell. Besides that, check the rear quarterpanels, as they rust alot too, hope this helps

Preston
1967 Chevelle 350/430 hp
99 Ford Lightning #1317

G
#5 ·
So how hard do you think it will be to get my SB in the 10s and still be able to drive it on the street???

Any body see the article in I think Chevy HP were they compared three different trans types, 2 auto and one four speed. Second gen Camaro with a 327 was ripping off some serious numbers.

------------------
Wally
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold #67
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"

#6 ·
My Chevelle with BBC, Th400, 12bolt, disc brakes, Rci buckets, Draglites on the front and Ralleyes on the back(raceweight not street weight), and glass hood, weighs 3400 with a 1/4 tank of gas.

I would suspect an sbc 67 would be about 3200-3300. They really aren't that heavy.

Trouble spots....get underneath and look at the floor, especially on the pass side (heater core leak), and the trunk, also right underneath the rear window in the trunk area, as well as the trunk floor. Lower corners of the doors too.

------------------
"Being good isn't always easy...no matter how hard I try"
Big 'ol Baddass Dave Armstrong

'67 Chevelle 396/Th400/4.10
'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)

The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

#8 ·
The book "Sixty years of Chevrolet" lists the 2 door Malibu w/8 cylinder as having a base weight of 3115. Sounds about right to me.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zio:
I am going to be looking at a 67 this weekend that has a 350 engine, 400 trans and a 10 bolt rear. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of the weight of this car? What should I look at for trouble spots on this year car. the owner says it has no rust, but i am going to take a magnet with me (for bondo) and also check the floors and frame. So what else do you guys thinkI should look for?
Thanks
Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just redid my 67 last year. Trouble spots where I found major rust: Inside trunk (pull mat and look underneath), rear window seat, the sheet metal on both sides that juts out on the inside where window is recessed and inbetween the door and rear wheelwell on top of rocker panel and on the rocker panel. Yep, wght of car is around 3400 lbs exluding driver. Prolly have to replace rear axle seals and bearings if never been replaced.
You definitely should change the front sway bar from the stock 3/4" to at least 1 1/4".

[This message has been edited by jmagro (edited 02-15-2001).]

#11 ·
Check on frame right wheere it starts making its upward turn in front of rear axle and check the condition of the rear lower control arms. Mine were shot (holes rusted right through)but the uppers were good. Replaced 'em both with Hotchkiss boxed style but that was a little pricey. Plus check all that was mentioned above, they have hit all the most popular bad spots.

Also, as mentioned above, I had to replace my rear seals and bearings also as they started leaking right after I got the car 3 years ago.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

#12 ·
I have a 67 Chevelle 300 Sedan, but it is very similiar. Everyone here has hit the nail on the head, but also check the front windshield as well. The water would collect at the base under the molding and rust just like at the back glass. Mine was shot.

------------------
Nathan Hecht
67 300 2DR Sedan 355/TH350 3.73

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.