Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking a buying a 65 Chevelle. I am curious as to how much they weigh. I have seen a range from 2800-4000 pounds so I have know idea what they weigh. If you have a 64 or 65 chevelle with a small block and actually weighed it I would appreciate if you could tell me how much it weighed.

I plan on building one with a 406 with aluminum heads and m-20 4 speed. Its also gonna be a stripper with no power accesories. Hopefully this is enough info to get a idea for its weight.

thanks

Frank

·
Registered
287 Posts
Information from the following sources:

Car Life Road Test: 1965, Z16/396 curb weight is 3800 lbs curb weight

Car & Driver Road Tests, 1964:
Mailbu SS with 283 the weight is 3155 lbs curb weight.

Hope this helps...

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS. :D
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Team Chevelle #37 - Gold Member

·
Registered
326 Posts
So how much of a difference is it between a SB 64 and a SB 65. They would be pretty close I think. 283 weighs same as any small block I figure. And that had iron heads and iron intake, cast manifolds, etc etc.

Canuck, does that 64 you have the stats on have a PG or the 4 speed. what would be the difference there.

I have a 65, all aluminum under the hood. Heads, intake, radiator. Just curious.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
The two cars that I have mentioned are simply "new Car" reviews from those magazines.

The 64 was 283 with Powerglide
The 65 was 396 with 4 Speed.... (that had to really run)

The 64 & 65 car's themselves are virtually identical (mechanically & sheet metal wise). The differences of course are Power Plant & trans. Appointments and accessories can vary the weight by probably 150Lbs excluding drivetrain variables.

I hope that clarifies the info...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I just got back from the truck scales. My 67 EC (350/350), no hood or front bumper, and no right seat weighted 3080 lbs with a full tank of gas and no driver.

The car was originally a 6 cyl 3 speed. The heater box (w/fan) and the wipers have been removed. It does have front disk and tubular upper "A" arms, I don't know how much different they weigh than the drums and original "A" arms. No power steering or power brakes.

G

·
Canuck64ss, have another look at a 64 front clip and a 65, they are not the same. If you mean the metal will bot on, it may, but they have a different look, just like the 64 nova is different from a 65 nova.

Wally
Gold 67

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm sure he knows that the cars look different. But the 64 and 65 are very similar in design. Most components, are interchangeable. Like rear ends and other suspension stuff. Just like the 66 and 67 are very similar. In my copy of the Chevelle Buyers guide, the 64 and 65 are covered in the same section. The 65 was an update on the 64. Basically the same car. Do you consider a 68 do be a completely different car from the 69? No. They are different cosmetically. But in demensions and mechanically they are very similar.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wally: Yes the 64 & 65 are slightly different. But, 64 being the first production year, GM had some learning to do, which they did. In 65 they eliminated some of the extra bits, (see fender chrome etc) and cleaned up a few problem areas. The cars maintain the same frame and the majority of their body components will interchange. The slight cosmetic differences are there because of "refinement".

They (GM) learned and changed their design to reduce the flaws and simplify their assembly process. Remember, that back in the 60's the auto producer's were almost allways changing things the following year after introduction because they found the bugs the hard way. Unlike today, where the majority of the manufacturers feel that these changes are not needed unless they are a major problem. Also, these day's they use computer simulation and testing well in advance of production to reduce the amount of problems on a vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys thanks for the replies. it looks like i can get a 65 chevelle close to 3000 pounds. i read so many articles with owners claiming their weight to be 4000 pounds. i found it hard to believe because in person these cars look pretty small. i think they say that to make there engines look like the have more power to run their 1/4 mile times. anyway, thanks for the info

later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.