Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, after my starter started to go reeeaaalll slllloooowwww, i decided to check it, well there was no bolt holding the cable to it
but it was angled enough to hold it on, it also in the mean time welded about 1/2 the bolt head off so i re-threaded it, and cleaned it all up and bolted it together, well, it's no different. it's been kinda slow when the motor is warm since i bought the car (over a year ago) but now it's just hardly turning over, except once it gets turning over, ZZZINNNGGGG it turns it over fast, but most of the time it doesn't get to that point.

i've checked the wiring, battery, alternator etc. but no go. timing is 17/36 and even backing it down to 12/31 didn't help. so...

will a starter get weak?? could the not-so-great connection over the last year contributed?? it is a mini starter also.... any ideas? i hate to drop $$$ for another mini just to find out it's something else.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The starter may have bad bushes. If the starter get hot, because of headers, etc the bushes will go bad sooner. The position or alignment of the starter can also make it slow. I had this problem. I had to insert shims on one of the bolts for the starter to get it to align correctly. Once aligned right, it started great. Also, if you have a bad cell or two in the battery,you may not be get enough volts to the starter. I would look at the alignment or bushes.
Keith
[email protected]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great post from kcooper225 ...especially on checking the battery; I did the new starter because I thought that if I had volts, I had amps. Not so.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the voltage i did a load test, and it's an Optima Gel battery so it will be a long time before it goes bad
. also the alignment is good no grinding etc. like i said once it starts-a-spinning it'll go and go, it's just not got the balls to get it going. i've emailed CVR the maker of it to find out what i can do. i dont' wanna just junk a $250 starter
but i may go with the $30 lifetime warranty 20#'er from autozone

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Loose connections cause higher resistance which means more heat. The plate in the solenoid could be pitted, or the windings in the starter may be on the verge of burning up completely, or the brushes may be worn out, or all of the above.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Randy has a good point. Gell-Cell & 2ga cable
= megga crankin AMPs. The Half "welded off
solenoid stud" is proof of that. If you then are sure you have proper bendex gear to flywheel/flexplate cleareance. IMHO the STARTER my be the WEAK LINK. do you have any GOOD starter/alternator shops around you ?
DO not get an over the counter rebuild's there 99% of the time JUNK.

GL

Wayne
ACES 1556
TCG 186

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all cables are good and my gelcel and cable are all perfect (new cable from trunk where battery is) i bought a "junk" starter from O'riley's today to see if that's the problem, it may be the contacts in the silenoid, it' a CVS starter and i emailed them and they wanted to call me they sounded like they are good customer service folks... i'll put this rebuild on and see if it works, if so then i'll see what CVS wants to do. thanks guys

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've been doing that for the last 2 days
it ain't fun, not too cool either

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, turns out thei is a CVS unit, even though i bought the car with it, and it's used over a year, he told me what the problem was and is going to send replacement parts for it since my cable was not enough (4guage and it needs 2 guage
) and it's my fault he didn't care, said if that's not the problem he'd get me a new one. i didn't complain, bitch, or fuss, he just offered when i asked for help on it. TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! i'd DEFINATELY buy from them again....

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update, 2guage wire didn't help (little too late i guess) and it ain't cheap ($12/ft. at 15ft= Empty wallet) so i hope the parts help.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a short jumper to the frame thru the trunk pan. and the block has 2 heavy copper-mesh straps (1 front, 1 back) so it's grounded well. i went ahead since they couldn't get my parts to me(and they haven't responded to email in 2 days) and bought a "junk" starter from O'riley's $29.99 lifetime warranty, works MINT, so when i fix the mini or get a new 1 i may just use the mini for a backup... cuz i sure as heck don't wanna take that starter down again
(only took me 3 trips to parts store to get the right 1)
as for the ground, keep in mind it doesn't need to be as large as the hot, yes, it's important, BUT there's a lot of loss due to heat, etc.
im going to install my cut-off switch to the neg. side now.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.