Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, started another thread to just let you I had to change the name per Scott Harris' request. Again, he said WCCG is his name and since he's not with us on this one, he asked me to stop referring to this event as the WCCG. So I was brainstorming for a long while and since there'll be lots of loud Chevelles and we'll be at the track, might as well throw thunder in the name haha. Let me know if you think it sucks or it's awful to you and I can work on it. But I really like it and made a flyer. I'll wait for some responses before I give it to the racetrack as the official new event!

Oh, and I'm going with $10 for food. If I spend $150, My Chevelle Club is buying soft drinks for say $40, $10/head should help out. Bring cash everyone to give me at the event when you eat!! Sound ok?

The flyer I made is in a .pdf file. How can I post it to show you guys?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Re: WCCG is now "West Coast Chevelles - Thunder at The Track"

Figured I would post in this thread now instead of the old one, count in me and the wife, with the car for the day, racing included.

We can take a pool and bet on what the new BBC will run, since I don't know I will get to the track before that, lol!

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Figured I would post in this thread now instead of the old one, count in me and the wife, with the car for the day, racing included.

We can take a pool and bet on what the new BBC will run, since I don't know I will get to the track before that, lol!
Sweet man, c'mon on over!! You like the new name? Not too too cheesy right? :cool:

Shoot, we might get a ton of people and 25-35 cars if this keeps up!!!

The flyer I made looks sweet, but I don't know how to post a .pdf :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts

Name sounds okay... just okay... I like the old name, and it does NOT belong to Scott...

Kind of hard to get past NOT using the old name... It is what it is...

just let you I had to change the name per Scott Harris' request. Again, he said WCCG is his name and since he's not with us on this one, he asked me to stop referring to this event as the WCCG.
Sheesh... We all wanted to do the same event, waiting for info, Scott bailed for reasons unknown (well, we heard some of them), yet we can't use that name??? I am sure we are all thankful for what Scott has done, and I am sure we'd all love for him to attend, even if he didn't lift a finger... But this was a group event, and its still a group event with most of the same people...

He "technically" came up with the name and made the big push for a bigger show, but it actually grew out of an unnamed chevelle get together that myself, Alan, Beaux, Craigs (ThorSS), Troy (Gokou) and a few others were holding...

And actually, in that same post unveiling the WCCG name, Scott actually stated that I was in charge, and I later deffered to Alan...

So if Alan or I were "in charge" of the group (as stated by Scott himself) that "created" the original event, despite Scott thinking up the name and doing the bulk of the work and having the connections, how does he have the rights to the name???? We were a group and one member came up with a name... Now that member chooses not to continue with the event, but the rest of the group does...

Its not like we took the event, or were pushing Scott out, he left for whatever his own reasons are...

No offense... I like Scott, great guy and was fun to be around, and some great ideas for this event... But thinking the even name belongs to him, and requesting you to stop using it??? Come on! :sad:

What, is he worried you are going to make a profit??? Is he bitter because he didn't like the way things worked out? Is he just grumpy or tired like me??? ;)

I am sorry, I am usually really laid back, but it is late, I am a little tired, and its really pretty petty, but this statement just irks me...

I had to change the name per Scott Harris' request. Again, he said WCCG is his name and since he's not with us on this one, he asked me to stop referring to this event as the WCCG
The Original, 3rd Annual West Coast Chevelle Gathering...

BTW, here is the original thread that Alan started back in January 2009...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257872

Page 2, Scott wrote...
1BadBu = Scott said:
Tony-You're the lead man here
I defered that "lead" to Alan, solely because he started the thread... I didn't mind Scott coming in at all, and didn't mind his ideas (and the WCCG), but since when can someone come into a group, and then bail, and then have the balls to "request" that you don't use the event name because it belongs to him??? I don't know, maybe he copyrighted it or something...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Tony,

I was VERY surprised by Scott's email myself. I can forward it to you if you'd like. He was straightforward and wasn't really asking to stop using the name, he was telling me. I can't imagine why he would care what the name is. I was under the presumption that he wanted/needed my Chevelle Club to help out in a MUCH bigger way (like Chuck Bonasera did the first year). So here I am helping in a big way, organizing this (if you wanna call it that haha). and he says to stop saying it's the WCCG.

Even if he throws a WCCG, it'll be weird now cuz of our event at the track.

So in trying to move forward and not getting stuck on figuring out why he's being like this, I thought of the new name and a killer flyer (imho) to hand out to Chevelles everywhere I see 'em.

I think you Sac were a big part of the first 2 years and I'm not exactly sure what the details are on his Sac Raceway or TC relationships at this point. I did end my reply with an invite for him to try and make it. Not sure he will. We are still the same guys, no matter the issues are he has. Weird. I'm just trying to be a problem solver and not dwell on negative things.

Regardless man, let's have a good time and hang for the day!

Can someone tell me how to show you guys my .pdf flyer? I'd like your approval (or better ideas) before I print them asap :)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

I really don't care what the name ends up being, just glad to see response that everybody wants to get together again. Hate to see the effort for the last 2 years go to waste. My daughter wants to come again so I'll let her drive the '69 and I'll bring the wagon. I've never raced before so maybe I can get Tony to give me a lesson! He knows how to get a set of tires to go up in smoke. Looking forward to the "Chevelle Gathering".

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

I figured this name deal would come up. I remember Scott saying he was going to look into having the name copyrighted. Unless Scott copyrighted the name West Coast Chevelle Gathering and WCCG, I don't see any reason why it can't continued to be used. Otherwise, smells like sour grapes.

Sergio, you need to request that Scott send you the Team Chevelle banner(s) and anything else still left that was purchased with funds from Al & Dot from Team Chevelle. Since those were Team Chevelle member funds, and the banner(s) and items were purchased for use by TC members, it should be forwarded to you for use at this event.

BTW, the new name is cool. But, figure out if WCCG is copyrighted. If not, then I say continue to use WCCG.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looking forward to the "Chevelle Gathering".
Dammit Bob, you're gonna get us sued, LMAO. JK. :p Can't wait to see you there!!

Still no takers on the .pdf thing eh? I'll have to call an IT guy here at at&t where I work (no, not a retail store, I'm a splicing technician out in the field haha).

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I figured this name deal would come up. I remember Scott saying he was going to look into having the name copyrighted. Unless Scott copyrighted the name West Coast Chevelle Gathering and WCCG, I don't see any reason why it can't continued to be used. Otherwise, smells like sour grapes.

Sergio, you need to request that Scott send you the Team Chevelle banner(s) and anything else still left that was purchased with funds from Al & Dot from Team Chevelle. Since those were Team Chevelle member funds, and the banner(s) and items were purchased for use by TC members, it should be forwarded to you for use at this event.

BTW, the new name is cool. But, figure out if WCCG is copyrighted. If not, then I say continue to use WCCG.
Oooooh Alan, you want me start WWIII or what? Haha. Dang man, I'll ask Scott about the TC Banner. That would be cool to have set up!!! I forgot about that. See what he says. Do you wanna go pick it up from him? Haha.

As far as checking if the name is copyrighted, how do I even do that? Most biz's have a lawyer guy to call someone right? Is there an office I can call? I think at this point, I don't wanna disrespect Scott and tell him unless the name is copyrighted, I'm using it. He did in his email reiterate a few times, "it's mine". I think we can go with the new name and maybe next year, he'll be back, or he'll give up on his WCCG and join us or give me the name back?? Hard to say. I'll advise him in the same email about the banner that TC guy's are dissapointed in the name change and see what he says.

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts

Oooooh Alan, you want me start WWIII or what? Haha. Dang man, I'll ask Scott about the TC Banner. That would be cool to have set up!!! I forgot about that. See what he says. Do you wanna go pick it up from him? Haha.

As far as checking if the name is copyrighted, how do I even do that? I think we can go with the new name and maybe next year, he'll be back, or he'll give up on his WCCG and join us or give me the name back?? Hard to say. I'll advise him in the same email about the banner that TC guy's are dissapointed in the name change and see what he says.
I wouldn't bother asking about the name... IF Scott knows you are already using it, then he's probably lurking...

Sergio, just imagine if some former member of "Nor Cal Chevelles" steps up and says "I thought of the name, its mine, quit using it"... Thats what this is like... I am not saying Scott didn't think up the name, but it was already an ongoing (if somewhat informal event), he came into the group, did alot of work, thought up the new name, but he was still part of the group that was putting this together at the time...

Its not like he already had an event named WCCG, and invited us...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sergio, just imagine if some former member of "Nor Cal Chevelles" steps up and says "I thought of the name, its mine, quit using it"... Thats what this is like... I am not saying Scott didn't think up the name, but it was already an ongoing (if somewhat informal event), he came into the group, did alot of work, thought up the new name, but he was still part of the group that was putting this together at the time...

Its not like he already had an event named WCCG, and invited us...
I agree Tony. I just wasn't with you guys who came up with the get together idea originally, so I have no leverage with Scott to say the WCCG name will stay, go find a new name for whatever you do in Stockton or wherever. So that being said, if one of the OG's wants to get Scott to give up the name, let me know before I print the flyer early next week.

I did already send him an email advising the dissapointment from you guys and asked if the name was indeed copyrighted. And the status if the TC banner. So we'll see what he says.

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts

I agree Tony. I just wasn't with you guys who came up with the get together idea originally, so I have no leverage with Scott to say the WCCG name will stay, go find a new name for whatever you do in Stockton or wherever. So that being said, if one of the OG's wants to get Scott to give up the name, let me know before I print the flyer early next week.

I did already send him an email advising the dissapointment from you guys and asked if the name was indeed copyrighted. And the status if the TC banner. So we'll see what he says.

Well Sergio,

Think of me what you will...

BTW, we had the "get together" long before Scott joined... It wasn't official, it didn't have the name yet, but we had mentioned how it would be cool to have a large Chevelle event (like Chevellebration)... Scott does deserve the credit for really pushing for the larger event, rather than just talking about it, but still he was part of the group... And again, while Scott did think up the name, it was done to promote/improve the groups already established get together... I still contend that when acting as part of a group, that name belongs to the group, not the individual that first put the name on a flyer...

Kind of sad when someone no longer wants to participate in an event, and wants to attempt to take the name for themselves... I think it would be completely different if Scott was actually planning the latest event with the group...

Scott wasn't kicked out, in fact, I think EVERYONE here wondered where he was a few weeks ago when we started discussing the 2011 event... We only here the heresay that Scott no longer uses this website because he does not like the corporate issues, and we here he was upset because he doesn't feel he received enough support at the last event...

As for Team Chevelle, that shouldn't affect the West Coast Chevelle Gathering. It is NOT a "Team Chevelle" event. However, thats where the majority of the attendants seem to have met, and still keep in touch...

As for the lack of help putting on the event, that is one of the pitfalls of trying to grow too quickly, trying to create to large of an event without the support staff already committed... this is where an official club, with LOTS of voluteers, really helps...

Anyway...

I checked www.copyright.gov:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information.
So the name can not be Copyrighted...

I searched the US patent and Trademark website http://www.uspto.gov/to see if it was "trademarked" or even "pending", and the trademark office does not have a record, so I am in the process of applying for a trademark (TESS)... I really doubt I'll complete the trademark, because its at least $150+ (from what I can see already, and maybe a few hundred more)... But with my application applied for, its documented and it would take priority unless someone else had applied before me...

So unless Scott has some proof that the name has been trademarked, I don't have any issue at all using it...

I actually think it almost worse to switch names because is implying that he did have the rights to that name... :sad:

I am still kind of shocked to hear that the same event, planned and discussed the same way (over the Team Chevelle web board), same location, most of the same participants, and it even would have been the same time of year if we had figured it out sooner (need the extra time for a semi-offical event), and Scott think we can't use OUR name for the event??? :noway:

Sorry, I apologize, it is a personality flaw of mine, I have trouble letting go of the little stuff when it seems unjust/unfair... And posting here is better for me that letting it stew...

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts

In the end, the name isn't important for me... I really don't see a huge need for a name at this point (its mostly word-of-mouth anyway), but the West Coast Chevelle Gathering was a nice name for the future, or to draw in others that might not frequent the TC site, especially for what was hoped to someday become a large regional event.

Although Sergio's name is "okay", and probably won't hurt much, it does imply this is more of a racing event, which might not attract as wide a range of visitors... I think the gathering is more appropriate...

We got along fine with absolutely no name for many years...

But its the principle...

And also its the future, as people such as Sergio have expressed a desire for continuing to grow the event... And instead, it seems as if Scott wishes to someday create his own event using the already established event name...

You don't like the lack of committment, lack of sponsors, perhaps don't get along with the venue ownership any longer, thats fine, but why try to take the name away. Everyone else wants this event... Everyone else expected this event... Sure, we'd like it better each year, but just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't give him the right to tell us that we can't use OUR name for the event as its been known...

So in the end, its the same event, same venue, same season (Spring), same core participants, so its the same name...

Welcome to the 3rd Annual West Coast Chevelle Gathering :thumbsup:

Sergio said:
I was VERY surprised by Scott's email myself. I can forward it to you if you'd like. He was straightforward and wasn't really asking to stop using the name, he was telling me. I can't imagine why he would care what the name is.
And while I think Scott is a great person and has been a great help, I question the person he really is, and his intentions... I'd say he is either looking to profit somehow off the previous events, or he is just on some powertrip...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Lol, sergio, email em the PDF and I will figure how to post it up for you. [email protected]

You didn't happen to used to work at the pleasanton automall did you? I knew a sergio there with a chevelle, but I haven't worked there in probably six years.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I feel ya Tony, and btw, I think you're a great help man!

I'll PM you more about Scott. :)

Lol, sergio, email em the PDF and I will figure how to post it up for you. [email protected]

You didn't happen to used to work at the pleasanton automall did you? I knew a sergio there with a chevelle, but I haven't worked there in probably six years.
LMAO Daniel. I almost spit out my diet coke reading your post!! I never worked at the Ptown auto mall. I just pictured myself trying to sell used Chevy Aveo's and laughed out loud. Oh man, thanks for that. Haha. I work at at&t and have for 11 years (I'm 33 btw) since out of college and the Air Force at Travis AFB. Oh, and my pretty blue baby, and I, are originally from El Paso, TX.

I am going to do one last touch up on the flyer after work, then I'll email you the flyer tonight around 9pm. Then post it after that. Cool?

And of course when Tony gets back from the Supreme Court and wins the case against Scott, I'll send you my backup flyer that still reads WCCG haha (I do have one). J/K everyone :)

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

BTW guys, Jim was nice enough to tell me about his Corvette thang going on at the Sac Raceway 2 weeks before our event.

Talk about having your s**t together, check this out!

http://www.nccacorvettes.org/vette_magic.html

·
Registered
7,127 Posts

Guys - let Scott keep the name. Its not a matter of law or anything else OTHER than not engaging in a rather un-necessary rift that could lead to further drama.

believe me, I do not take "orders" well at all, I just dont....if someone issues me an ultimatum I usually opt for an "F" you but this is an instance where its just not worth the trouble to fight about it.

Its just not. It will leave a lingering negative aspect over the event itself. The potential for conflict, bad vibes - just something thats not needed.

Do I agree with it? Nope. Not at all. But in the name of not introducing any negativity to the event on the behalf of a now separated party that doesnt wish to attend is really peeing on your own leg.

Let it be and carry forward "anew"

Scott - since I truly figure that you are indeed reading this stuff (having known that it was being referred to by the old name) You are a good dude - I mean that - great guy, know your stuff with the cars - end to end. I dont know what went down, specifically, but I wish you the best and wish you would come out and hang. Call me if you want.

Fellas - keep in mind that any event that had an aspect of negativity around it before it ever started has never survived. This last one seems to have died because negativity was introduced somewhere. Good foundations arent built on that and dont remain.

Sorry for the ramble.... I am sober and weird things come out of me when I am sober.

:D

Tony - We know where the roots of the whole norcal thing came from, how it evolved and all that good stuff. I think thats all that matters. We wouldnt have met all these folks if that little thing never came about. Thats all I care about personally - knowing you cats when I would never have otherwise.

I dont disagree with your points but in the end, really - its just a potential headache not needed. Keep the good times rolling, stay cool, stay smooth and let the rest slide off your rear bumper. I am picking up what you guys are putting down but we dont know for certain what happened with scott, the new owners, reimbursement, the track staff and all that. It may be hsi way of fully separating with an "F" you to the track and not have anything to do with the guys here.

In the end - its just a name and a banner. People and the cars make the event. We could call it Pickled Nipples in the Pits and it wouldnt matter.

Cars, track, summer weather, fun, kids - :thumbsup::beers:

Rock on.

Ah - per the Team Chevelle banner. Although nice, TC isnt sponsoring the event, that agreement was made with Al and Dot and I believe that banner should have been returned. All in all - TC isnt sponsoring it, we dont want TC held liable for anything, in any way, if anything went wrong. Cant associate a name with an event without full clearance and we dont have that from these new owners. I was the one that spoke to Al by phone when this first kicked off because of the legal, monetary issues having to do with associating the TC name with an event. Scott wanted the sponsorship, banner and funds and was in discussion and Al then called me at home where I had to cover, assure, plead, and take responsibility for seeing that the first event didnt cause any problems for them.

If no money / sponsor from them then I dont think we need to advertise for them as a sponsor thats isnt sponsoring anything. Would be like me just deciding to put up a huge BAER Brakes banner for the heck of it.

It should be kept away from TC. They arent throwing any money at it and the deal was made when this was a small run operation rather than corporate owned.

I have now set a new personal best "longest damn post" :)

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for the post Beaux. Whewee man.

Ok, So 4 things:
1. I agree with not starting WWIII on the name. Scott is in my Nor-Cal Chevelle Club now actually and is meeting with them March 12th at our monthly club meeting in Fremont. So we'll what transpires from that, if anything. Keep moving forward.
2. Nor-Cal Chevelle/Caminos Club is paying for the soft drinks. So that's a small sponsorship I guess. I'm putting my club name on the flyer for the help they're giving me :thumbsup:
3. I have spoken to Don, from here on TC (AKA Vertical Scope nowadays - not Al & Dot), and he thinks he WILL be able to help me out with some $$$ for bbq costs, flyer printing costs, and/or a cool goody bag. He is checking on funds to see how he can help me. I am awaiting his next move. It really has nothing to do with the TC name or liabilty IMHO. It's just a cool forum and according to Don, they'd love to be a part of events and shows. So again, not sure what Scott's beef was with there. If he can't help, that's fine too. If he can, I'd like to see a TC Banner at the event. Right next to a pimp Chevelle!! :)
4. Big decision to make everyone..... Eliminations or Fun Runs at the track???????

Talked to Jennifer again today and she will allow us to go with elimination style racing (to go along with bracket racing already going on), or allow us to race each other for fun. What does everyone say? I'd like the idea of eliminations, but then again, not everyone is a bracket pro and just wants to make a pass for fun. I guess my vote would be FUN RUNS this year. I need to ge better at launches anyways ;)

Let me know what you guys want ASAP!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts

Cool.

I cant speak for concerns that the "Don" might have, only what I covered directly with Al when this kicked off. This was actually just before the ownership change.

Anyhoo - i'll sit on the sidelines and await, just wanted to be sure you had the info in case because I worked with Scott on it initially and spoke to Al and not sure if anything was relayed to the new owners.

Trick with legalities is that if something went wrong and it was TC sponsored and you didnt have waivers signed TC might be held partially liable. You sign off for the track but nothing to sign off TC and we are in a litigation happy world.

Glad you have it worked out and spoke to them and they they seem interested.

Cool stuff

Im going back to my attendee status. :D

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts

Sergio,

Stick with the fun runs... more grudge style... Many people want to try out their Chevelles, but they don't have the car or experience to win in a bracket race... Bracket racing, you need to be consistant, but unless you race alot, you probably aren't going to be that consistant...

And for those that want to bracket race for eliminations, can't they join the regular bracket cars at the track that day? Not sure on the specifics of that day, but usually ANYONE can bracket race anything...

So Scott joined Nor Cal? I guess it makes it an easier to try and sell his event...

Will his be just another show, or a fun caravan/show/racing like the WCCG is (okay, used to be just for you Beaux)? ;)

1 - 20 of 384 Posts