Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 69 Chevelle that has the oil pressure, amp and water temperature gauge under the dash. The water temperature gauge is not working. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot a water temperature gauge?

Thanks,
Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075

·
Registered
184 Posts
check the wire that runs from the back of the gauge to the engine block and make sure that it dont have any cuts or its not broken anywhere

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Locate the temp sender on the engine. Remove the wire, turn your ignition switch to "ON". With wire removed gauge needle should be on the left side (max cold). Ground the temp sender wire to the engine block, gauge should read full right (max hot). If gauge does move your sender is bad. Remove sender and put in a pan of boiling water, check with meter should be less than 50ohm.
If gauge does not move, check continuity of sender wire to back of gauge. If open you have a bad wire, replace. If good, check for +12V on one of the gauge terminals and ground on the other. If these check out your gauge is bad.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I'll give it a shot this weekend when the sun is out for a few hours and let you know how it goes.

Bubba

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bubba, Is this faulty gauge the one mounted under the dash? Does the water temp gauge have a mechanical sending unit or electrical? Sometimes it is easier to replace with a mechanical sending unit then try to fix one with an electrical signal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wildman,
This is the gauge mounted under the dash. I believe it's made by SunPro. I'm not sure if it's mechanical or electric, I haven't crawled under the dash. The line running from the engine to the gauge is somewhat stiff and has wire wrapped around it for it's entire length. I've been away from these cars for quite a few years. It's amazing how many things I've forgotten (or never knew).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bubba, What you have described is a mechanical water temp gauge. These normally don't go bad. There are no wires associated with this type gauge. I would suggest replacing it with an auto meter or equal mechanical type gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts