Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 327 built and I have started from scratch on the front of the motor. After trying several different crank and pump pulleys, including billet aluminum, I talked to one of the older guys at Jegs at the retail store, ( I live in Columbus). He said they press on that pulley/fan flange to the steel pump rod and sometimes they don't press it on far enough. I am wondering if anyone has actually had to move the pressed on flange back on the water pump and how you did it. One friend said freeze the pump, then pull the frozen pump from the freezer and heat the flange with a torch, not too hot, then tap the flange in to where you want it. I have not tried that yet. The first pump I bought (Cardone) leaked, and this is the second Cardone pump. I am done with them.
Any comments welcome.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
First measure the flange distance to determine what you need, then take it back and exchange it for one that measures correctly.
Second, stop buying Cardone pumps or any of their products. We used to carry them at our store and received so many back GPC (owns NAPA) stopped carrying them. A new small block water pump is not expensive. If you try to modify the current one it will not be returnable.
A new NAPA water pump is only $33. The performance model part TFW 43106P is $36.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts