Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I just bought a Chevelle which came with a partially assembled 350 engine. I got a bag of bolts with nothing ID'd. Just would like to know the bolt size that holds the waterpump to the block. How much of the bolts' thread should go into the block? Are washers required on these bolts? Thanks,, Terry

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Verle! I just figured out its a long water pump. I see a lot of posts where people run into problems with a long pump. Are those problems just when using the long pump on a big block?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
The "long" pump is used in '69 and later, BOTH BB and SB. '68 and earlier use the short pump. So, it depends on what you're building. You just use all the brackets/pulleys, etc for the proper year. AND, pumps are CHEAP. I always use a NEW pump with every build. No sense in putting a used one on there.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is a '67 Chevelle.The engine is supposedly a cheap GM 350 replacement,1984, Im told, which didnt have too many miles put on it. It came with a box of parts, pulleys, water pump, p/s pump, bolts that weren't identified, etc., to put back together. I just want to use whats there now to get it running, and down the road get a better engine. The water pump is now temp in place to see how much room there is between it and the rad. It appears it will be fine. I just need a spacer between the fan and the pulley. There is 4.5" between the fan and rad. now. What I really need are pictures of the parts assembled to see just how the brackets are mounted. I read that cars using the long pump had the alt. on the pass. side and the p/s pump on the drivers side. I dont know if this is always the case, though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
be very careful not to bottom the bolts out.....I ruined a 406 sbc because I broke a bolt off and could not get it out for the life of me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts