Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ORIGINAL MESSAGE : MY 1970 CHEVELLE SS PASSENGERS SIDE FLOOR AREA HAS BEEN GETTING WATER SEEPAGE FROM SOMEWHERE EVERY TIME IT RAINS SUBSTANUALLY. THE CARPET IS SOAKED. READ SOME PREVIOUS TECH NOTES FROM PRIOR SUBMITTALS (WET CARPET AND RUST GREMLIN HIDEOUTS) HAVE REMOVED KICK PANEL AND VENT, CLEANED OUT DRIP HOLE AND RE-SEALED VENT W/ NON-HARDENING SEALENT. BUT RECENTLY GOT WATER ON FLOOR AGAIN. I AM GOING TO HAVE MY WIFE SPRAY THE CAR W/ A HOSE TO SEE IF I CAN SEE A LEAK, BUT WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS WHERE ITS COMING FROM. ITS ONLY WET FROM SEAT TO FIREWALL, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS. MY CAR HAS VENT FROM I THINK WAS THE ASTRO VENTILATION SYSTEM AND I FOUND AN UNDERDASH AIR DOOR LOCATED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE KICK PANEL. THE CAR CAME W/ A/C AND I INTEND TO PUT IT BACK IN. IT WAS REMOVED AND PARTIALLY REINSTALLED, BY PREVIOUS OWNER. NOW I'M NEW AT THIS, WHAT DO I DO. W/ A/C I WONT NEED THE VENT SYSTEM CORRECT. IF NOT, HOW DO I BLOCK THE HOLE AND KEEP THE WATER OUT. ANY MORE THOUGHTS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had leakage problems in my 70 Elko...It was the space behind the kick plate on both sides...filled with dirt (4-6"). Cleaned it out thoroughly(not easy because the space has hard to reach spaces)...especially concentrated on opening up the drain holes on the bottom. Sealing up the kick panel is important but not critical...the water comes down through the cowl drain into effected area.
I'd open up those kick panels again and make sure those holes are draining (run some water through them.
Goold Luck
Steve G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same problem with my 1971 Malibu. Everytime it rains hard the flooring of the passenger side gets wet. I don't know where to look for the leak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a problem after installing new carpet. I apparently covered a drainage trough under the sill plate and the water was 'wicking' back in and soaked the passenger floor.

I also have a leak, probably in the same place as you. I sometimes see a stream of water running down the outside of the kick panel.

sg08807 - Where does the cowl drain? Mine was rusty and I covered it with fiberglass cloth so I don't believe I have any holes in it. Could I have covered up drain holes to?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My '67 has the same problem. I've tracked it down to under the dash. Somewhere under the grill under the wiper arms there is a seam that seams to be leaking onto the floor. Put a water hose over the wiper arm grill and see if your leak comes in under the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts