Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Back when I used to fly A model KC-135's we used water injection on the jet engines. It worked like a charm unless you lost a pump them you had more thrust on one side than the other. Not good. As for water injection on a car never heard of anyone using it. Seems to be similar to the tune up in a can. where you take a can of water and pour it down the carb. That can't be good on an engine.
The purpose of W/I on jet engines is to increase the mass of the air you are moving through the engine. I would think that in a car you would turn t hat water into steam as its compressed, and knowing how "abrasive" high pressure steam can be, I would not think it would be good on you exaust valves. Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
Edelbrock had their Varajection water injection unit that you could buy. It had a computer block with vacuum and rpm sensors. Two adjustments were available for adjusting when and how much water mist would be sprayed into the carburetor primary bores. The water cools the flame some allowing you to advance your timing some and the steam produced creates some power. It actually worked on high compression motors running on low grade gas. Too much water can cause steam erosion of the valve and seat. It also cleans all the carbon from the combustion chamber. Setup is the key. I had a unit on a car I sold and would buy another one if I had the chance.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Remember the '61-'63 Olds Jetfire motors? they were the 215 ci turbo motors and they had water injection systems to suppress knock. This stuff goes back to WW 2.

·
Registered
336 Posts
interesting stuff.. about pouring water down the intake its not bad.. ive done it several times.. its great for cleaning out carbon if you pour it into a hot engine and kill it so it on the valves, in the combustion chamber etc and let it sit for a while and the steam will do its trick.. but i recommend using GM "top engine cleaner" first or you may run into problems with larger chunks of carbon sticking to valve seats i.e. compression loss, no start, etc.. never happened to me but ive heard stories of engine tear downs due to such a thing.

mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.