Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I ran my gas tank very low, then the engine started to run very rough. After pulling off the top of the 2v Rochester, I found sediment and water in the float bowl. I had the carb off the car a few months ago and found sediment but no water.
I blew it out, adjusted the float level and installed a new in-line filter and still I'm finding sediment and now water in the bowl. I realize that running the tank down so low probably brought in junk that's sitting at the bottom, but shouldn't the in-line filter prevent this from reaching the carb?
Is their any way to get the water that's probably in the tank out w/o removing the tank from the car?
Thanks for your help,
Rich

·
Registered
548 Posts
Rich a lot of guys think running a tank low causes dirt and water to be drawn up.Not true the pickup is always near the bottom of the tank.Take it off and have a rad shop clean it thats the only way to do it properly...FRED

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
You should also flush the lines and fuel pump. I had a similar problem on wifes Mazda from getting bad fuel from the bottom of a station tank. We dropped the tank, cleaned it, ran new fuel through the lines and pump and still had problems with crud holding open the needle valves. The Finally solved the problem by changing carb to Weber and adding a centrifical filter between the supply line and fuel pump. Car ran better and had better emissions tests than with stock carb! Inline filters won't catch the small stuff. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.