Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 66 malibu convertible, it was somewhat of a basket case, Alot of the metal around the bottom of the rear inner fenders and channels below the rear quarter panels were gone. It appears that the channel around the bottom of the convertible top drains water to the inside of the quarter panels. My question is how does this water drain out of the car? Should there be drains below the quarter glass and where would they drain to? What keeps the water from getting in the area under the rear seat?

Clyde

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You should find drain holes on the inside of the rockers just in front of the rear wheels. The one's I've seen are square with another hole just above and a little rubber flap plugs into the top hole and covers the bottom one for a kind of one way seal.

The drain rail dumps the water down into the V at the bottom of the rocker (where inner and outer panels meet) and then the water is supposed to drain out so that it doesn't get high enough to leak into the passenger compartment.

Peter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter,

How does the water get from the drain rail to the area between the rockers? My drain rail dumps the water onto the front inner side of the rear wheelhouse and then into the area where the rear quarter window goes when it is rolled down. There doesn't appear to be any holes to let the water get from this area down into the rocker panel. Shouldn't there be holes in the bottom of this area?

Clyde

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'd have to look at my car to know for sure. I thought the bottom of the area where the rear 1/4 window goes was formed by the inner and outer panels meeting. I'm sure the drain hole is below the rear window.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts